Neep help with Maple/Maxima (math programs)

So i have been instructed that I need to use these programs and figured they would be a piece of cake…well I thought wrong.

I get warmed up, my professor wants us to “solve” these simple equations using one of these programs so we can see how it breaks everything down step by step.

Here is what It needs to solve and how I am putting it into the program:
(x^5)+(-(6x^4)+(-(2x^3)+(4x^2)+(-(2x)+1

It looks weird because it has all these special parameters it wants equations in. Yet, it will not solve it, but spit out [all] message, which is not what its supposed to do.

If anyone can shed some light as I tear through the internet trying to find the answer id appreciate it.

did you set it equal to zero!

when you hit the solve feature, you set what its equal too and what you would like the variable to me (obviously x)

I ended up using wolframalpha and just handed in everything it threw at me. I hope the answer is in there somewhere as I was told by the professor “It may or may not have an answer”

I have not used Maple in years. I may be getting some of this confused with FORTRAN too, but first you have to enter the command to clear out the “memory”. Assign your variables and enter your equation. As suggested, make sure you set it equal to zero. Sorry I can’t be anymore help. Use the help feature in the program. It’ll tell you how to do it.