New GM Not Responsible For Old GM

So you bought a GM vehicle from the “Old GM” before their bankruptcy in '09. Now you’re SOL (according to “New GM”) if their is a problem with it:

http://detnews.com/article/20110818/AUTO01/108180344/1148/rss25

General Motors Co. says a class-action suit complaining that GM fixed rear-end problems on police versions of 2007-08 Impalas, but not those owned by some 400,000 other drivers, should be thrown out.

“New GM did not assume liability for old GM’s design choices, conduct or alleged breaches of liability under the warranty, and its terms expressly preclude money damages,” the response says.

The suit “is trying to saddle new GM with the alleged liability and conduct of old GM.”

It’s the latest challenge by owners to automakers that limit the scope of recalls or service campaigns. It’s also sparked dozens of angry complaints from owners.

Interested to see how this plays out.

Great way to win customer loyalty. :tup:

Really moving forward, GM.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I’ve now quite drinking and doing drugs so I no longer assume responsibilty for my past criminal record from before I went sober…

Legally, new GM is right. PR-wise, it’s a mistake.

The problem is that there is no rear end in a 07-08 impala! LoL silly people.

Horrible policy.

New Onyx doesn’t not agree with this thread posted by Old Onyx. Please ignore it.

Lol I was wondering wtf they were talking about

Yep.

During the bankruptcy hearings two entities were created - the New GM and Motors Liquidation Corporation. MLC is the old GM and was given all of its bad assets and liabilities. It is eventually going to be dissolved. MLC is the one that’s actually liable, however you can’t get blood out of stone - its stock is currently trading at like a quarter a share I think.

I’m a GM fan and I drive a GM, but even I’ll admit a lot of what they did in those bankruptcy hearings what sketchy. I think it was necessary and good for the overall economy because of the tons of jobs it saved in the auto industry. Not just GM jobs but jobs at suppliers’ plants, etc. It stopped a ripple effect from happening. And I am so not in the mood to debate this either, so if you disagree, that’s fine, but don’t expect a reply from me. Not in the mood today I guess.

:wink:

Steal from Americans to rip off Americans to provide money to a company who couldn’t make a quality car

Well done Goverment Motors :slight_smile:

Meh. They’re still honoring warrantees. They’re just not worried about redesigning pre-apocalypse problems. It’s almost like they went through Chapter 11 to get a fresh start or something.

LOL

Obviously the bankruptcy limits their liability. It’s just funny when you say “New GM did not assume liability for old GM’s design choices” when I’m sure some of those same designers are still around, lol.

This just in… All 08 and older GM made cars that are on used car lots have now dropped $3000 in value.

So they are free? Lol

$5, they will love you long time.