New housing: design consideration, basic construction

I am looking for something like this but much more in depth:

http://www.uvi.edu/Physics/SCI3xxWeb/Structure/FrameConstruction.html

Nothing serious, but it’s free to dream. I am playing around with a couple different ideas for new home construction. I am looking for basic design considerations like joist lengths, post placement, beam spacing.

What I want is an extremely open floor plan and for the exterior walls to support the load. Sure, it’d be cool to incorporate say 10 x 10 beams in the aesthetic aspect as well.

Purely for the sake of argument let’s say 30w x 45l 2 story. NO interior wall support, NO interior posts.

Across the length heavy post support is both ends and every 15 feet. So 4 total (@ 0, 15, 30 and 45). Then width beams across the post. Normal second floor constrction after that?

Is this even feasible? Practical?

Well top level can easily be accomplished with trusses.

As far as the fisrt level, yes it can be done, but will require large joists. I can get you the raw live/dead load numbers from the “Handymans Pocket Ref” when I get home… so you’ll have an idea.

I didn’t read your entire paper there, but bare in mind that further spaced floor joist will require thicker floor decking to handle the extra load it will bare.

I have a couple of home 3d construction software suites that i downloaded off the net for “evlauation” purposes… most of them will let you know when something isnt possible if you go nuts with it… just as an FYI… i got them via torrents on the interweb.

Are you trying to build a house for you, your wife, and all your little Nissans?