No Insulation on Exterior Walls!?

My house was built in 1948 and from what i can tell when i was drilling to run a new ceiling light in the living room there is no insulation in the exterior walls!!!

Is this shit common? and is taht why my 1600sqft 1.7 floor level house with temp at 64 degree equates to $250 a month? lol

i might be looking into foam insulation after this winter. any suggestion on how much it cost?

Friend of mine just bought an older house like that too and found the same thing, no insulation.

Can’t comment on cost to foam insulate.

Yup. Heat used to be cheap, relatively speaking.

You might have some in there…

All mine has settled to the bottom sill plate.

I was pondering the idea of blowing some in if I could put the holes someplace high enough to get crown molding to cover the patchwork.

My 1939 house doesn’t have any insulation in the exterior walls either; at least not in the rooms that haven’t been remodeled yet.

Might be foam boards on the outside of the house, under the siding.

But yeah my 1952 house doesn’t have insulation either. It’s also block. Which is nice on days like today. The big bad wolf can kiss my ass.

My heating bill is like $80/month budget planned year round. 1800 sq ft. But I also put in a 95% efficient gas furnace 2 years ago. Cut my heating bills by 2/3 over the old oil burner.

I’m guessing you have an old inefficient furnace. Your windows might suck too. Those are probably more of a problem than the lack of wall insulation.

Block has an R value of like 3 doesn’t it? lol
Great thermal mass if you have exterior insulation though.

lol yeah it’s somewhere near zero. :stuck_out_tongue:

Most homes built before 1970 won’t have insulation.

I was thinking early to mid 60s. My parents house was built in 1964 and it is insulated.

Mine went up in ~57 and had the aforementioned insulation that has long since gathered at the bottom.

At least I have my old shake siding under the vinyl siding to insulate me :frowning:

Theres a slow-expanding foam out there that I was looking at; but it’s $$$ You drill 3 3/4" holes in each wall cavity, and slowly fill from the bottom up.

I have no clue what it would cost to have it professionally done.

I’m thinking of doing what Drvnkd suggested and poping some small holes behind my crown molding in the rooms where I don’t want to destroy the walls and blow celulose insulation in there. Especially because my wall sheathing is just 1x6s with paper between that and the bricks.

In the rooms I am/have remodeled I put up 1/2" rigid foam insulation against the 1x6s; then spray-foam around it to seal and hold it in place; then put up normal fiberglass insulation on top of that.

yeah, my 1939 house doesn’t have insulation that I know of, but I do have 3 layers of siding material on the outside, and plaster walls, so it isn’t too bad. Just did the windows and the furnace is already pretty efficient, so this winter should be a good one compared to last.

Get one of those home heating/energy audits done before you start throwing money at the house. There may be much better ways to spend your money to make your house more efficient. How deep is the insulation in your attic? How are your windows? Does your kitchen fan and bathroom fan(s) seal off properly when not in use?

I use glad press n seal on my fan housing. :smiley:

the attic has R-30? have no clue what that mean or if its good or not.
my wall are all plaster…which sucks.
I do have vinyl siding so i assume tehre is foam board on the outside
My furnance is i beleive 85% efficent? i have to check that out
the Windows = poor only have 2 new windows and the rest are since the house have been built.

So i assume the windows are my problem.

Do not assume there is insulation under siding unless you see it for yourself.

Have a look under the bottom edge so see if there are still shingles there.
Putting plastic over the windows helps more than you would think…

R30 is good (theoretically).

i can check it out after i get home do i have to take the siding off? or can i see it btween the siding and house?

does it matter if the plastic is on the inside or outside?