NYSPEED - I need your help/opinions/advice - BMW 535xi inside

I have the opportunity to trade my 09 Highlander Sport for a 2008 BMW 535xi.

My payments would actually go down, so this isn’t the issue. The only forseeable issue is the BMW in question.

The car is all there - Silver, new tires, sport package, cold weather package, heated wheel, convience/comfort package (I think) auto, black interior, heated and cooled seats, everything is in pristine shape.

The only drawback is that the car has 47,000 miles.

The only thing that I’d be losing from my Highlander is navigation and my 100k bumper to bumper. Which, to be honest I’ve used the navigation maybe 10 times in a year. No biggie.

My only question is, reliability on the BMW’s behalf. I can get into a 100k bumper to bumper but it’s stupid. Like $3,500-$4,000 and I’d rather not.

I know the drivetrain is bulletproof and BMW increased the HPFP warranty to 100k, or maybe it’s 120k? Regardless, I’m more concerned about the electronics, iDrive (other than the fact that it’s stupid) and suspension components. I drive ~17k/year, so this car would have 100k on it in 3 years. Is this car more than likely going to give me a hassle free experience?

I know a few of you have them and there are a lot of people who are knowledgable when it comes to BMW’s. Help me out. Opinions? Concerns?

Thanks in advance,
Baby Boy

PS - I will not be modding the car, other than maybe a pretty conservative exhaust, wheels and MAYBE suspension (coilovers/spring/shock setup). I don’t think that I’d bother getting into software upgrades or any of that bullshit.

I called the other day.

A certain family of 8 came in for some stuff in their new Sienna… :wink:

They LOVED you.

Awesome.

I’m sorry, I saw it but I was swamped and totally forgot to call you back. It won’t happen again.

The customer’s in question were hand’s down one of the best customer experiences I’ve ever had. I probably spent 3 hours with them just bs’ing.

Dan, your opinion of the Highlander to BMW conversion?

You will, at some point, have electronics issues. Period. Happens to any german car’s electronics at some point. Other than that the drivetrain is solid and I wouldn’t hesitate to take it over 100k.

I’d do it :tup:

Lets be more specific. Like, bad bad? Like the transmission needs to be replaced because the ecu fries? Or like, the HVAC controls need to be replaced. :frowning:

The last thing I want are gremlins.

A friend has one of these. He bought it new, and I know that within a year something wacky happened and it was back at the dealer for about three weeks… Great car though

I’d personally stick with a warrantied car, but I’m not a baller…

What exactly makes this happen on ALL German cars?

EDIT: This is a serious question. I can’t think of one person I know that has owned a german car free of electrical gremlins, myself included.

My Jetta was full of them, but I probably accelerated the issues by fucking around with the wiring.

Bone stock '98 Audi… weird A/C turning on occurances, sunroof spaz’s when turning the car off…mainly in warmer weather, cruise stopped working… etc.

otherwise the car is excellent. Southern car, no rust whatsoever, perfect drivetrain, female driven, bone stock, audi maintained… the car is literally flawless for it’s age and yet I have multiple electrical issues.

my b6 s4 never gave me any sort of problem…

if it were me…i would go bmw.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the car. I’d be driving it right now if it had half the mileage. I just don’t know if I want to take the chance @ 100k.

let me add it has 148k… still a gem though. I’d label the electrical issues as “annoyances” more-so than issues.

go for it :tup:

You know I hated the decision of that Highlander from the get go.

A 5-series would not be my first choice, but definitely a good direction

4 VAG cars later I had a shit climate control on my (at the time) 10 year old B5 A4.

Maybe I’m lucky?

Check out http://forums.5series.net/

Like you said, no real mechanical issues but some gadget related problems. The battery i have is bad and to replace it bmw says to have the new battery “registered” by the dealer. So some of the software stuff can be a little annoying. Adding other options that did not come with the car requires more software upgrades as well. Not that big of deal though.

Do it

I’m going to do the unusual NYSpeed thing and say keep the Highlander. I’ve worked at a Toyota dealer and at an Independent shop. I’ve seen way more problems with the BMW’s over 100k than Highlanders. Coolant leaks, climate control issues, etc. The BMW no doubt drives better but for how much you drive I’d go with the warrantied car.

Beck I have put about 20k on my M5 and at 80k total miles am seeing the first problems. Electrical I had to replace a FSU for $55 and I replaced som front bushings that are known to go bad about $150. All in all I say go BMW and you will be very happy. knowing all of the people we do in the area if it needed any work outside of warranty it can be done at a very reasonable cost.

cliffs - 535 HOT