Our 44th President, Barack Hussein Obama

Thanks… since I"m not well versed in the stock market (shame on me)… I will post someone’s comment to the reactions of this article back in 2003.

A likely explanation, but it fails to take into account that the economy is emotionally-driven and its health is very much dependent not only on fiscal policy, but future outlook.

With the dawn of the failed Bush Administration, I think the nation sank into an emotional depression. Everyone I spoke to expressed a sense of dread and many suggested, early on, that we might not even survive this mess.

Indeed the attacks of September 11th, predicated primarily on Bush’s big mouth, underscored the dangers. The subsequent rise in unemployment, a further increase in an already well-entrenched trend, was not just a result of the attacks - it was a happening thing.

For historyís sake, one need only look at the first Failed Bush Administration, where unemployment rose as did the deficit. Perhaps many of us felt a little more at ease than we do now. It seems, in retrospect, that at least we had someone with a brain in charge, as opposed to the current joke.

I think stories and analysis of economic outlook should take into account the emotional health of the nation (and the world). This is critical in understanding how things became the way they are and, more importantly, where theyíre going.

Remember ñ Roosevelt did many good things for Americanís suffering during the depression ñ but one of the most important is often overlooked. He gave them hope.

Mark Richards
Boston
Posted by Mark Richards on May 11, 2003 at 6:59 PM

also:

Great article, but I would have liked to see more discussion of how we got to this point - and the fact that the policies that got us here are continuing. And what about a fourth bubble: debt?
“When a flood of new inventions gives opportunity to make more than the current rate of interest there is always a tendency to go into debt, in order to make money out of inventions, and to the ordinary investor this comes in the form of investing in common stocks. At such time, the rate of interest should be high, embracing as it does the opportunity to invest
for a high rate of return over cost. If there is a great discrepancy between the rate to be realised to the investor from his investment, and the rate of interest on which he can borrow, he will be inclined to borrow all the more.” Paul Warburg The Theory of Interest, New York 1930
Interest rates have been forced down, liquidity pushed up and people have “borrowed all the more”. First for stocks, now for real estate.
And the government is certainly leading by example. Look at these deficits! Debt, Debt and more debt.
Posted by Karin Deming on May 12, 2003 at 8:05 PM

and:

Baker’s article excellently describes the current economic turmoil we are facing the United States, and does an admirable job explaining how we got here. However, I think a more nuanced critique of dollar policy is needed.

The Globe and Mail reported yesterday that the Bush Administration has aggressivley pursued the decline int the dollar’s value, letting it slide 17% as it has a stimulative effect on the U.S economy, something especially important considering the slump we are in and considering that the fed has little room to move. While a strong dollar may be buoyant for particular segments of the econony, as Baker noted, it has devastated manufacturing, which continues to contract. Mind you this isn’t praise of the return to Voodoo Economics (absent James Baker’s obsessive quest for the strong dollar), nor any kind of defense of the Bush team’s economic vision. Instead, it really is a twofold query:

1. what would prompt the fed to raise rates at any time in the near future, except political suicide, especially as we near another presidential electoral cycle?

2. If the Fed at some point does feel constrained to slam on the brakes, raising rates while the dollar continues to lose value,
    where will the economic solution come from that will keep the economy from suffering a total meltdown?
    Posted by Geoff Miller on May 13, 2003 at 6:42 AM