PA woman denyed Teaching degree for myspace photo

Woman who lost teaching degree over MySpace photo sues university

The Associated Press

MILLERSVILLE, Pa. — A woman denied a teaching degree on the eve of graduation because of a MySpace photo has sued the university.

Millersville University instead granted Stacy Snyder a degree in English last year after learning of her Web-published picture, which bore the caption “Drunken Pirate.”

“I dreamed about being a teacher for a long time,” said Snyder, 27, who now works as a nanny.

The photo, taken at a 2005 Halloween party, shows Snyder wearing a pirate hat while drinking from a plastic “Mr. Goodbar” cup. It was posted on her own MySpace site.

Although Snyder apologized, she learned the day before graduation that she would not be awarded an education degree or teaching certificate.

Jane S. Bray, dean of the School of Education, accused Snyder of promoting underage drinking, the suit states.

The federal lawsuit seeks at least $75,000 in damages. Millersville spokeswoman Janet Kacskos referred questions to a state System of Higher Education spokesman, who declined comment.

Copyright © 2007 The Seattle Times Company

underage drinking…she was 25???

This opens a whole new can of worms.

wheres the photo

pics for proof.

Jesus, man, that is not right! Myspace FTL.

myspace sucks

Myspace is the downfall of technology.

If universities start getting onto Pittspeed there could be a lot of degrees revoked!

I’m not sure how they could deny the degree if she’s completed the course.

The certificate shouldn’t be denied, assuming she passes the Praxis, or whatever tests they use.

I can, however, see schools turning down her app, based on her actions. That happens here, too. Most teaching contracts do have morals clauses. (They’re hideously outdated, but they have 'em.)

And this is why we don’t put shit on the web we don’t want anyone seeing.

My teachers at school never add anyone from school to their facebook/myspace etc. just bc one complaint and they are gone

id hate to be under that kind of microscope. there is personal life and business. usually you try to keep them seperate. and this is before she even became a teacher. shes a grown ass adult she hasn’t done anything illegal. i hate how close minded people are these days. America is no long home of the free.

fuck! i’d sue too!

Thats stupid. For a couple reasons.

1. Don’t put shit on the internet you don’t need people seeing.
  2. Don’t use myspace- because its gay
  3. She made her own decision- you can’t penelize her for not doing anything illegal
  4. Don’t use myspace- because its still gay as hell. Make friends in real life.

The internet is a tool that can be used for good or evil. This sucks.

the irony here is that anyone
can go on youtube and see tons of videos of our president drunk off his ass. So I guess you can drink and be leader of the free world but you can’t teach english.

Im deleting my myspace… what bs.

i think it is a bunch of BS

That’s fucking weak. At first, I was thinking she had pictures of her nude on myspace or something. But a fucking Halloween photo?!?!?!?!?

Maybe whoever denied her degree is a pirate and was offended.