Possible new 2008 Camaro concept

Someone posted this on my website regarding the new Camaro. They stated that there may be something similiar to it at the 2006 Detroit Auto Show :tup:

http://www.rodandpiston.com/db/upload/files/08-CAMARO-ATOMICSHARK1.jpg

They are planning to unviel a rwd coupe at Detroit. Hopefully something like that would be nice, or even a more retro design show before. I would prefer the concept above because of its originality but somethign that slick looking would probably take away too many vettes sales, but who knows.

thats not the camaro. Thats the Chevy SS. Its just a concept sports car.

EDIT: though it does look pimp

Chevy will never bring the Camaro back, at least not in any similar form as before (powerwise). The Corvette is the flagship car, and it will remain that way.

thank you

when has the corvette ever not been the flag ship? Just because the camaro has the same engine doesnt mean its going to knock the corvette off the top of the food chain. Thats like saying ford is going to stop making the mustang because it will compete with the GT.

But only time will tell.

you’re right they have very similar motors…

it is nothing like saying that…the SS at the time was closer to 40k fully loaded…and the vette was under 50k…thats close…and they had the same engine…the mustang and gt are…nothing alike in quality and no where…NOWHERE…close in price

i think he meant mustang, and mustang gt.

if he means the gt40…he should be slapped.

:gotme:

well they dont call it gt40…that was in the 60s i believe…the new one is just Ford GT

idk mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

but whatever he means…its quoted, so he can’t go back and change it later on :wink:

either way…camaros are :rolljerk:

edit: this should cause a little more dispute :mamoru:

even better.

automobiles in general are :rolljerk:

At least they were able to used the left over cobalt tailighs on this concept

Ugh where to begin…

Fuck it, the short and sweet…I dont know where that black car came from, but it probably has some cues, just not enough. It wont be a hatchback, and id be suprised if it used those kind of taillights. Either way, its supposed to be at the detroit show in january. Im going. Odds are the car will be a bit more upright than the last model, bc they need to take care of the sissy public too, as opposed to the 4th gens that went with just function.

Biggest concerns are whether it can be called camaro or if it will just BE a camaro under a different name, which i think is unacceptable. A lesser problem will be on the levels of trim, as the V6 needs to have a bigger focus since it maintains sales. Then you have the Z28 vs SS, or I should say Z/28. Modern history has the SS as the top model, be it mostly appearance and comfort. In true camaro history, Z/28 should be the top dog of performance, we’ll just have to see how they present it I guess. In any event, Scott Settlemire has made it known that camaro guys would be ‘very pleased’ to attend the show this year.

With having the T56 and LSx based motors in place, selecting a proper chassis has been the biggest problem. The only thing I think we will get stuck with is an IRS, so I’m hoping there is some provision for a solid axle that can be swapped back in. Otherwise I’m hoping for a kick ass car, albeit too heavy like all new cars. Should be coming out just in time to make it the daily driver :tup:

That reminds me, I should start making plans to go to Detroit for the show as well.

http://www.brcorvetteclub.com/events/50th/Nashville/chevy_SS.htm

someone just took a pic of the SS and photochopped it

http://www.arkansascamaro.com/2007Camaroconcept.jpg

This drawing by Chris Pauwels is supposed to be somewhat close, but who knows.

While looking for pictures I noticed this link has alot of the guestimates people have made in the past 2 years or so:
http://www.arkansascamaro.com/2007camaro.html

I like that sketch a lot more than the first pic in this post.

The red “guestimate” picture is pretty nice too:

I’d rather see better midsize sedans from them, something they can sell in volume and get people into their brands. Better service to keep them there. They’re on the “bigger is better” path, when “better packaging is better” is more important. They have every chance right now to take what Honda and Toyota have lost–great packaging. It used to be when you looked at a Honda you said,

“It’s really not that big of a car.” And then you would sit in it and find out that there is surprisingly a lot of room. Do people want bigger cars? No, they just want space. I still sit in older Grand Ams and feel like I’m in a Geo Metro.

Now Hondas and Toyotas are just getting huge. So what I am getting at is: if American car makers can make slightly smaller, or hold their sizes at what they are, and make them feel larger inside they should be able to gain some sales and send the big three Japanese back to thinking.

I’ve seen a lot of new Sonatas on the road. It’s impressive, and the car isn’t all that big. You sit in it and you really feel like you’re in a larger car, but of course it’s fairly small and drives small.

So, no, GM should not be spending time on a new Camaro. They should be spending time on their existing lineup.