Power packs/Phone chargers?

Suggestions?

I travel a lot and goto hacker conventions always fighting for outlets.

I was going to order this unless someone has a better idea.

I’ve got the ENergizer one…you can plug it in via USB to charge it and connect it to your phone.

Yeah, I bought a smaller energizer version for my phone and go pro last week. Works pretty good, various connectors included.

Whatever you do, swing for one with sufficient battery capacity to charge your phone several times. Most of the smaller ones advertise about a single ‘full’ charge, and barely do that. Then you are left with a half charged phone, and dead phone charger.

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperJuice-Mini-7200mAh-Battery-for-iPhone-iPad-iPod-USB-s/165.htm

Or, this guy is rated to charge your iPhone 52 times…

The generic chinese ones tend to absolutely suck. They tend to have half the rated battery capacity, and the charge current is usually <500mA.

I ended up grabbing the first one I posted.

I will post a review in a week or two.

Hopefully this saves airport brawls over outlets

I’ve had problems with the Chinese ones on some cell phones, once I plug it in the phone starts going crazy.

Probably some crazy malware from China trying to install on your phone

here is a Mophie case/charger for the iPhone… assuming you have one…

What I got works great I have completely charged my iPhone 5 times with out recharging it.

I can also plug in other devices :slight_smile:

Typical. Lots of these tend to run on a single cell lithium battery, with a nominal voltage of 3.7V. The issue being, that USB is looking for 5.0V. This requires a boost converter, which can be awfully prone to EMI/RFI issues when done cheaply. Most devices then have a poorly designed charge circuit that throws most of this noise onto the phone, making capacitive touch screens fault.

the one i got has a 2A and 6A out

If its a brand name unit, its probably OK. Chinese manufacturers tend to be willing to skimp out on components on no-name stuff to make it as cheaply as possible in order to sell. More often than not, performance and reliability suffers.

Even if it looks like an identical product, simply without a brand-name sticker, its probably missing important components, or uses poorly spec’d ones.

The one you posted is quite expensive by Chinese standards, so its probably reasonable quality. This tends to be awfully important when it comes to charging smartphones.

The Anker I got was $50 and had 84 5 star reviews which on the internet says a lot because people bitch about everything.

^ I fucking hate that shit…

1 star because the UPS guy had a bad attitude. The actual product is awesomeballssex!!!111

I mean what the fuck does that have to do with the product? I want to strangle these people. You are reviewing the actual product and how it works.

I love the ones on Newegg “Well I configured it wrong” so it sucks or “I don’t understand networking so it sucks”