Presidential Election Choices

Are you fucking Serious?!?! :picard:

A few points I like about Obama:

Network neutrality

In a June 2006 podcast, Obama expressed support for telecommunications legislation to protect network neutrality on the Internet, saying: “It is because the Internet is a neutral platform that I can put out this podcast and transmit it over the Internet without having to go through any corporate media middleman. I can say what I want without censorship or without having to pay a special charge. But the big telephone and cable companies want to change the Internet as we know it.”

Education

During an October 2004 debate, Obama stated that he opposed education vouchers for use at private schools because he believes they would undermine public schools.[7]

In a July 2007 address to the National Education Association, Obama supported merit pay for teachers, to be based on standards to be developed “with teachers.”[8] Obama also called for higher pay for teachers.[8] Obama’s plan is estimated to cost $18 billion annually and would be partially funded by cutting funding to NASA. The bulk of the cuts would be derived from delaying the Constellation program for five years.[9]

Parental responsibility

During a February 28, 2008 speech in Beaumont, Texas, Obama said, “It’s not good enough for you to say to your child, ‘Do good in school,’ and then when that child comes home, you got the TV set on, you got the radio on, you don’t check their homework, there is not a book in the house, you’ve got the video game playing… So turn off the TV set, put the video game away. Buy a little desk or put that child by the kitchen table. Watch them do their homework. If they don’t know how to do it, give them help. If you don’t know how to do it, call the teacher. Make them go to bed at a reasonable time. Keep them off the streets. Give ’ em some breakfast… I also know that if folks letting our children drink eight sodas a day, which some parents do, or, you know, eat a bag of potato chips for lunch, or Popeyes for breakfast.” [123]

Death penalty

Obama believes the death penalty is used too frequently and inconsistently.

Things I dont like about Mccain:

Network neutrality

McCain is against government regulation of network neutrality unless evidence of abuse exists[48].

— Unless abuse exists… OF COURSE ABUSE EXISTS

Religion and the nation

When interviewed by Beliefnet, a website that covers religious affairs, McCain was asked if he thought a non-Christian should be president of the United States. He answered, “I just have to say in all candor that since this nation was founded primarily on Christian principles, personally, I prefer someone who has a grounding in my faith.” McCain also stated his agreement with the belief that the U.S. is a “Christian nation.” On September 30, 2007, he clarified his remarks by saying “What I do mean to say is the United States of America was founded on the values of Judeo-Christian values, which were translated by our founding fathers which is basically the rights of human dignity and human rights.”[55]

— Religion should have nothing to do with the government AT ALL

Ultimately, I think Obama would be a nice change of pace to stir up things a little bit and stray away from the past 8 years of conservative rule

You are opposed to vouchers and want teachers to be paid more??? x a billion

Hillary’s just plain full of shit. I don’t trust her farther than I can throw her.

McCain is going to bring more of the same. As much as people like to say that wanting not-republican is a stupid way to vote, politics is made up of coalitions regardless of who the point man is. So yes if I want change I’m going to vote for putting the other coalition in charge for a while.

I guess process of elimination leads me to Obama.

fry i think that u mean obuma he like Hilary will destroy the economy even more.

I personally just want religion out of the government, and improved education.

No argument on either. But I am surprised (assuming you live in NYS) that you think paying teachers more will do anything (other than increase taxes). We have the highest paid teachers in the country and far from the best schools.

We may be paid higher than in other states but that just means those teachers are getting the shaft in other states.

You say that we’re overpaid yet we have to get a masters to keep our jobs. Average starting salary in this state is around 34k, with a masters its 38k.

This isn’t the first time that you have said teachers are overpaid here and I say again that you don’t know enough about what it takes to become a teacher in this state and what it means to be a teacher to have such an opinion.

With the same level of education I could be making 50k. NY has the hardest requirments to become a teacher. I have worked in both suburban and urban schools and let me tell you they don’t pay you enough. Especially if you’re a Buffalo teacher. I taught 9th grade English as a sub in Buffalo, I had class sizes up to 45 students.

On top of that I have to continue my education after my masters to keep my certification. It ends up being a big pain in the ass to do a job that most people quit after 5 years.

And before you throw in the whole “well you get summers off garbage” let me tell you that I won’t be enjoying those summers off for atleast 15 years. I will always have to find some summer job to keep the money flowing in.

Wow am I glad I went to school for 6 years to have 2 jobs to keep my head above water.

Don’t get me wrong day-by-day I love my job, don’t punish me for that, but the hoops I had to jump through and continue to jump through are rediculous.

What upsets me is that you have such a low respect for my profession and yet you would not be where you are without teachers. I doubt you’re self-educated.

If you had an abundance of shitty teachers than I’m sorry, but that doesn’t excuse the fact that you are wrong.