Prime Crx examples

always wanted one, just not enough to pay over $10k thats crazy

Fox body pricing is on the rise like this.

Esford90 has a very clean example. The nicest i’ve seen by far and probably magazine worthy. Also kyle (Hondakid) has been making nice progress on his CRX.

$11,584 in 1988 is worth $22,549.14 in 2013.

The used sale of $12,300 is a loss of $10k, plus to maintenance and storage for 20 years. If I’m losing $10k in depreciation I’m going to put more than 39k miles on the car.

I am glad someone in here understands inflation.

well if you really want to think analytically, you have to compare the depreciation of this car to other cars in 1988 and look at the opportunity cost considering you’d probably have a different car. I bet the CRX is in the top 10%

Seth please read my comment…

True, but you lose money on nearly ANY car.
I didn’t say it would be good for investment purposes, but it is good to get nearly half back of what it would be worth in today’s money.
I love these cars, but would have a hard time shelling out over $10k for one, even if I had the extra cash laying around.

A few of my favorites that I know of…
'89 Si

and this complete teardown and ground up restore:

Started with this:

During:

Completed:

that silver one looks great.

Guy A paid $23k (today dollars) new, drives it 39k miles, sells it for $13k ($10 today dollars depreciation) = 1,700 careful miles/yr = 25 cents per mile.
Guy B paid $23k (today dollars) new, drives it 250k miles, junks it for nothing in 2007 = 15,000 care free miles/yr of beating on it = 9 cents per mile.
Even if we add in three timing belt changes, with labor, at $1000 a pop and 5 sets of tires at $400 a pop. $28k = 11 cents per mile.

Guy A is paying twice as much to have a "collector worthy" car. And is probably enjoying the car much less.

no, you have to compare a 1988 CRX to another 1988 car given the same usage.

A bit back I went into Subway in Eden and there was a black Si, bone stock, in the employee area. I asked the sandwich artist where he found it as it looked brand new. Florida. The next time I saw it, it had the obligitory Ebay touches. I saw a maroon/burgandy one not too long ago, somewhere in my travels, that looked brand new also.

Also-is that a Civic of that vintage to the A pillars or was it completly different?

Mechanically they are the same.
It was based off the Civic, but the body panels, some lights and some dash pieces are Crx specific.

AFAIK, it looks like this now, ground up, complete teardown, OEM+ restoration.

i’d buy that red one.

crap… now i want a crx

I love the oem restorations, the time and effort that’s put into a car, by a collector, to restore to factory condition blows me away.

1 Like

Love crx’s

I’ve had like 6 mint examples and wish I would have kept at least one of them

1 Like

This one is already torn down!

Several examples with similar mileage to first post going for 20-30k+

should have been buying CRXs instead of VOO!

2 Likes

Used car prices are insanneeee I’ve been periodically searching for some late 90s, early 2000s cars for a toy while my vette gets finished up (S2000s, STIs, Evos, Fbodys, VR4s, GSXs etc.) and the prices are absolutely absurd.

Yep, took the Subaru I got for my daughter’s first car to a buddy to get inspected yesterday and we were talking about the used market. He said in all the years he’s had a shop he’s never seen so many people putting ridiculous amounts of money into cars that are total piles just because they can’t afford new or even used right now.