Pro-Engineer

What is version is pretty popular in industry today? I’m self-taught in Pro-E 2000i and got pretty good in it, but I haven’t used it in a few years and might be looking at a job where I’ll have to get back into CAD and Pro-E is what they are using. How different are 2000 and Wildfire 4.0 (if that’s what most popular)? Should I be able to jump right in?

Also, does anyone have a copy they’d be willing to part with so I could load it up on my home computer and fiddle around?

2000i & WF4 are VERY different. I have a copy of 3.0 and 4.0 at home; but I don’t have a DVD burner… if you have a portable HD and you’d be willing to come over you can have them. But they are both available fully cracked via Torrent.

Wildfire 3.0 and 4.0 are most common right now. They went from the sub-menu command structure to a icon based software when they came out with Wildfire; so the interface is completely different. But like most CAD systems, if you know one, you should be able to figure out all the others. (Catia and UG being the exceptions…)

You are going to need a decent PC to run Wildfire through… It will work ok on lower systems, but you will bog the crap outta it without a good amount of RAM and a decent videocard.

I’ve never talked to anyone that uses Pro-E at their job. It’s always Solidworks or something else.

Which sucks since I learned Pro-E in school.

I used Pro/E for 5 years at my last position… Now it’s Solidworks at this place, and the next place I’m going is SW as well.

There are still companies out there that use Pro/E; but for most companies SW does the job they need it to do for a lower cost. Pro/E is much more powerful in it’s surfacing capabilities, and has some very good system-level design tools that SW doesn’t have. But most places either don’t need that or wouldn’t utilize it anyways.

What would be the minimum system requirements to run Wildfire? Maybe I can’t do it at home…

This place would require me to do Pro-E for component drawings as well as CFD. I don’t remember Pro-E having CFD capabilities directly, is that something new or do you suppose the export it to another program? I’ve done CFD before with I-DEAS, again, should be something I can pick up after using.

I don’t believe Pro has a CFD module; but there are separate programs that directly interface with Pro for CFD.

As for a PC; at least 2 gigs of ram, and a P4 processor minimum to get you into the basics; that’ll be the barebones I’d say.

If you want to do high-level stuff at home; then a Quad Core; 4 gigs of ram, and a Quadro Videocard…

No need to get detailed really, I just want to get familiar with the newest version.

I was under the assumption that solidworks was used over pro-e in most cases

I’m at GM now, UG is all that is used here so I don’t know what the industry “standard” is now. I do know that this company uses Pro-E though (Wildfire 3.0 apparently).

It’s a cheaper package with less functionality than Pro/E; but the increased functionality is not typically utilized by most companies thus making SW the better choice for a lot of places.

Since you have some 2000i experience, the transition to wildfire should not be too difficult. You can find tutorials online and you can pick up a book pretty cheap. I prefer doing this because it’s easier to pick up new tips and features then trying to figure it out on your own. I’m trying to do this with CATIA right now because it seems to be the most used in industry now.