R8 what?!?!?! I'll take the R10... and so will dozr!

http://www.planetlemans.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=1456&Itemid=2
Similar styling, but completely new power plant that will put Tom into a coma… a 5.5 liter V12 Turbo Diesel putting out rougly 640 HP and 811 ft/lbs of torque :eek:

The car’s wheelbase is longer than the R8’s was in order to accomodate the 5.5 Litre, Turbodiesel V12 engine. It also has much wider front tires. The engine has a claimed output of 650 horsepower and 1,100 Newton-meters of torque. Michelin will continue to supply the tire program for the car.
The R10 prototype’s V12 power unit, which is equipped with two diesel particle filters, is hardly recognisable as a diesel thanks to the engine’s smooth running nature. The TDI engine’s specialities presented the Audi Sport engineers with a whole list of challenges. The injection pressure easily exceeds the 1,600 bar achieved in production cars. The usable power band lies between 3,000 and 5,000 revs per minute – an unusually low rev range for a racing engine. The driver must change gear in the R10 far less often than in the R8 because of the TDI engine’s favourable torque curve.

The enormous torque of over 1,100 Newton metres does not only make extreme demands of the R10 transmission system – even the latest generation of engine dynamometers at Audi Sport had to be re-equipped with special gearboxes capable of withstanding the unusual forces.

http://www.planetlemans.com/images/stories/vdol_story/05_dec/audi_motorsport-051212-1560.jpg
http://www.planetlemans.com/images/stories/vdol_story/05_dec/r10engine.jpg
If you want/need more info, read the damn article, no cliff notes for the lazy.

DISCUSS!!!

giggidy giggidy awwwww Rigggght

Holy shit that is sexy. :tup:

im kinda suprised it doesnt make more torque than that.

:word: I wouldn’t be surprised if it was capable of such, they just de-tuned as not to chew up transmissions and other drive line parts. Considering they stated that had to redesign their engine dyno for this thing… :gotme:

That’s awesome. I hope one day the US government pulls its head out of its ass and starts enouraging the use of diesel engines instead of all this hybrid garbage…

But, too bad I’ll be rooting against the new Audi and for the new Peugeot, which is also supposed to be diesel.

:word:

i will thake two, please

makes no sense as diesel fuel is alot cheaper to refine, yet they sell it for more than gasoline. you’d think bush and all the oil companies would be pushing diesel like crazy so they can make even more money off us.

stupid NYS, i really wanted to buy the new Jeep Liberty CRD too.

It was only a matter of time :slight_smile:

That engine is beautiful.

WOW…that is beautiful! just one question, i have a limited knowledge of diesel and the “1600 bar injection pressure” is pretty mind-blowing to me. Maybe somebody can clear this up. my calcualtions show that 1600 bar=23,520 psi. seems a bit high.

no, thats right. honestly i’ve seen higher injector pressures before. diesels (newer ones) are direct injection.

thats some serious plumbing… badass

More like they de-tuned it so they wouldn’t show all their cards and get rediculous restrictions/rewards weight if anyone knew just how capable that thing is.

Sand-bagging 101, class is now in session

ehh i dont think its all that hot

thats soooooo hot,

Who cares about hot? Will it win the 24 Hr at LeMans is the real question.

WOW, I consider myself schooled. That is a lot of pressure!

My car makes about that much fuel pressure :slight_smile: