Recertified/ refurbished electronics worth it?

Moneys kinda tight this year so in order to shop for Christmas gifts I’m going to have to save as much as I can.

I’m looking at a Garmin Nuvi 750 refurbished for $180 shipped, which is cheaper than some of the basic OEM models out there and includes a ton of features.

Anyone have any feedback on refurbished electronic equipment?

Thanx

Usually they recieve more stringent qc on the 2nd time out

$100 and non-refurbished.

I NEVER buy refurbished anymore, always had bad experiences.

what about a refurbished/recon laptop from ebay. looks like you can get a pretty decent one for 300ish

nvmd, I just noticed the RFB letters on that GPS. they tried to sneak it by me, lol.

I did that before with an inspiron. It never game me issues, but I ended up changing the cpu, ram, and hd on it. Ive also had some refurb tvs and such, and none give me problems.

yea, sounds like a sweet deal, i dont game or anything too serious, im just sick of being tied to the damn desktop.

Refurbs are always dependent on who refurbed them. Its usually going to be whoever makes the thing. But i have seen ‘refurbs’ that were actually just working used product, or slightly damaged new… They know you cant really complain much when it says ‘refurb’.

Its sketch. If you save enough, go for it, its probably going to work fine and look like or near new. But they usually have poor warranties on refurbs, if any at all.

I just got a new Garmin Nuvi 350 on Amazon for $159 free shipping.

I bought 2 LCD TV’s from Newegg refurbished.

Both work fine.

I bought 2 CRT HDTV’s from Phillips about 3-4 years ago when HDTV first came out.

Both working fine.

My vacuum is refurbished, so is my microwave.

So is the Dell laser printer that I bought 5 years ago…

Nice

Depends on the quality, and what was wrong in the first place. Usually solid though.

I have never bought refurbished and I’m not sure I would.

I used to sell refurbished Dells. The quality of the computer we put out was better as a person fired each one up and checked out all of the components. That company is still around, but they are in Europe www.ndc.co.uk They have some great deals.

Refurbs usually have a lower failure rate than brand new items (according to consumer reports).I buy refurbs and I never have any major issues,most of the time they’ll carry a decent warranty if a problem by chance does arise.

i want to like refurbed electronics, but i’ve never had good luck with them. the reading i’ve done on it indicates they should work as well if not better than new ones.

Garmin stuff is usually top notch on the refurb side. We have bought more than a few of them, and they are great deals, and have never had a DOA product. Get it, save money.

Cool, thanx for the input everyone.

I got my tomtom refurbed, looks and works perfect.