review: DiRT on PS3

:tup:

I know its been out since last summer, but did a search and didnt see much mentioned about it. Overall, one of the best driving games I’ve played on a console. It doesn’t have as wide of a scope as a Gran Turismo as its only rally, hillclimb, rallycross, etc., but within those areas its far better than GT4. Good physics, realistic damage to car and objects around the course. Cars get dirty throughout the race. Graphics are amazing. Sounds echo in different ways off trees, walls, etc. Theres a wide selection of cars (about 50) that you need to win/buy, and though you cant mod them you can adjust all the settings. There isnt any split screen multiplayer option, but it does have online play, which I havent tried yet.

I bought it hoping it would be a good realistic driving game to tide me over till GT5, and it definitely delivers. It makes the Gran Turismo HD demo seem kinda meh. Good buy.

How are you liking the PS3 so far?

Not a mod?^

I heart DiRT. One of my favorite games.

I really like it so far. I need to set up a media server on my computer today and see how that works, and waiting for the dualshock 3 controllers to come out. Overall though I’m really happy with it.

the only thing i didnt like about dirt was the single axis turning system, looked too cartoony to me, other than that it was pretty good.

I guess you can get them imported and they aren’t too much more than the normal six-axis. JCuz has them and had positive things to say.

I really hate the “instabrakes” on Dirt. No car stops that fast, even on tarmac. That pretty much ruins the game for me. Physics in Richard Burns Rally are much better.

DIRT is awesome.

The greatest part about that game is the in car camera.

Turn that on and just try and roll your car over as much as possible (easy in the buggy) and enjoy a game that doesnt exit the in-car cam because you rolled. Looks f’ing sweet on a 50" HDTV.

I rented it on the 360 and still need to buy it. Just never have money. However, after playing the demo on both the 360 and ps3, no offense but the 360 had a sharper draw distance, and overall imho looks a little better, and the audio i felt was stronger on the 360.

I have 360, havnt played any dirt racing games yet but i have Forza 2 which is amazing for realism. I’m not sure this may be for 360 only and not ps3? But its definatley way better than the old GT games i’ve played

Mike

Yes mike, forza is only for the 360

Yeah I agree with the comment on the brakes, you can really be going way too hot into a corner and mash on them and not go off. As a pure simulator I’d say its not really there, but for its overall experience, I like it.

Sux to be them then!! haha jk

Kevin why do u never join us in cod4, we have a l33t team

I tried last week with skunk for an invite, nobody ever responded back, lol

I finally burned it, so if u see me online invite me.