Riding mower tune up

I have a John Deere 170. Looking for someone to give it a look over, and fix it if it’s worth fixing. NOT a D170

Today the cutting height adjustment was being a PITA… I was cutting at 1" height for a minute, then realized it and adjusted accordingly… only to have it fall back down.
So I figure whatever, no big deal I’ll just mow a little higher than normal (It will stay at 3" but not 2.5")

Then I go to put it in reverse, and the belt that goes to the transmission got a little loose and lost all forward/reverse.
I fixed that for now, but the belt is crap.

The brake doesn’t work. (not important imo)

3rd gear is jerky.

Engine won’t start sometimes. It’s random and strange. It will smell like it’s flooded, but the plug is dry. Can’t see any spark in the plug but it might just be because it’s bright as fuck out. But when it does start, it will start after turning over 2-3 times and run like a champ until it gets shut off… Then it will be a jerk.

14hp Kawasaki motor.
1989 build date.

Anyone do this stuff on the side? Or know of a good place to take it to?
I don’t mind paying for someone to look it over… I just don’t want to dump money in to this thing if it’s a lost cause. Tired of having to adjust my plans due to this mower.
So I think I’m going to mow the grass today… ::try to start mower:: nope… Today I push mowed 2 acres with a 21" cut mower because I was pissed off at it.

So /end rant. Someone fix this pile or tell me if I should junk it.

Hector’s hardware? There also a place on transit and broadway i think, it is in depew across from a granite and marble place, they look like the kind of place that can help you, they always have old lawn mowers and stuff just sitting infront

Sadly I do. I work 8-7 mon-thurs this week but I’m off fri-sat-sun.
I’ll PM you my number, I’m not far from you.

thread jack, I have a '06 brute force 650 that’s getting hard to start. Needs carbs cleaned and valve adjustment. I don’t feel like dealing with it if it not’s to expensive to have someone do it . If your interested pm me a price and maybe we can work something out.

Theres a guy on seneca st in west seneca eds small engine repair its right across from perrys nursery he does it out of his house as his only job and he is very good at what he does I have had multiple family members keep up on service through him.