Rust Proofing

OK, i spent the whole day and my project car is totally empty inside…every single panel is removed.
The condition of the car is actually really good, although the outside is rusty. There is no rust at all inside the vehicle.
So how do I go about rustproofing the car myself? I heard that I should use OLD oil instead of NEW oil and spray it along all the seams and just let the oil sit.
TRUE? FALSE?

HELP!
Thanks!

thats a good question, i’ve been thinking of rustproofing the underbody and such myself before winter hits…anyone done it themselves before?

I have done it before and it works fine. Environmentalists would frown on you for using dirty oil, but who cares right? If you want to keep it on cheap its the best way to go.

Keep in mind you’ll need a decent spraying system. The parts you’d need would be a sprayer(with trigger), some rubber hose, and an empty Propane tank. You can pick up a spray nozzle from any Canadian tire for a few bucks (I used one designed for power washing an engine). If you have a decent air compressor you can hook it up to an empty BBQ tank (filled with the oil) and attach the hose/sprayer to the tank. This may take some minor effort to make things fit snugly.

Thats it. You can now spray the living sh*t out of your car!

If you feel like spending a few extra bucks, you can go to a volume supplier of lubricants. I know my dad did this once and picked up a huge bucket of the stuff Krown uses for 40 bucks or so.

so dirty oil is better than new oil for rust proofing?
what if i don’t have an air compressor??

i was thinkingn of just using what my mom uses for watering her flowers! LOL…
wouldn’t that work?

Dirty oil is used because it is thicker and stickier that new oil. The thicker the better. Your last change of 5w-30 should be fine. Your mom’s watering tool might not have the pressure to spray thick oil. Oil is a lot heavier than water and you need a pretty good spray to get well into door panels.

Again, I used to do this to my old winter beaters. Now, I’d sooner have Krown do it for a hundred bucks, but if money is a factor this is the cheapest method and it will get you through the winter problem free.

Also, keep in mind that this is a messy process! You’ll need a place to do it that you don’t mind covering in motor oil. Also, as with any form of rustproofing you’ll need a place to park untill the dripping and burn-off has stopped.