Sales tax when Trading in a Car

So say my car is worth 10 grand on a trade, and I am buying a car for 19 K would I only pay tax on the 9 grand or the entire 19K? What about if I buy the car out of state, how do they work that if I am buying from a dealer???

you pay tax on the difference which in your case $9k. Also you don’t pay tax until you register the car in NY. The dealer will put you on a intransit permit.

yes u will only pay the tax on the 9k instead on the 19k… sario hit it on the head.

are there any ways to register the car elsewhere and pay their tax instead of our tax maybe ?

like if you have an uncle down in XXX and you buy from the ealer around the corner from him and use his address ?

As long as its registered in the state you are buying it from you pay there tax, as long as there is a permanant address. Now in NY if you buy a car here and register it in another state you pay NY and tax in the state you are reg. it to. Then NYS refunds you the tax at a later date :tdown: NYS SUCKKKKSSSS BALLZZZZZ. There cracking down on buying here and paying tax elsewhere. :gay2: I love buying cars from private parties and getting a receipt that says “bought for $600” :snky:

LOL, NYS is really cracking down on that too. I just got a letter from the NYS Dept. of Taxation & Finance asking why I sold my truck so far below fair market value and they wanted a whole slue of bank statements, reciepts, etc… They suck ass!

I always cover my ass by giving the buyer of my car two receipts. One that would say I received $600 for whatever car then another with the balance paid in full. If they want to show the low one, go for it. But I think I would be in the clear that way.

That’s probably worse you’re leaving a paper trail of fraud. If the person gets scared and says he actually paid the full amount your ass would get burned w/ your signature to prove it.

No, there are two receipts which total the full amount. As if they gave me a downpayment say 9/16 and paid the rest in full 9/17. This way I would have the full amount accounted for.