Paying taxes for a car bought out of state @ dealership?

Most people pay taxes on the car they purchase for a lower purchase price in order to save on tax…

ive done it when ive bought from private sellers as well

IVe never gotten greedy though…

has anybody done this on a car bought out of state at a dealer? does the NYS dmv have access to see the true sales price the dealer sold the car for vs what i register it at ?

i dont think so. they have a hard enough time keeping shit straight at the dmv in ny, why would they take the time to look into other states files lol

i dont want to get nailed… but im also not going to be greedy about it… i would say i would do ~60-70% of purchase price to just save 1k in takes…

its insane that i need to keep paying taxes on new cars if ive sold the old one that i JUST paid taxes on…

i thought you had to pay the taxes on your state and not the state you bought it in now…

you have to pay taxes in NY when you register it.

you also have to show a bill of sale, from said selling dealer.

i can’t think of any reason why a dealer would print up a false buyer’s order, seeing it would be illegal and falsifying information.

Both times I’ve bought a car out of state from a dealer I had to show the DMV in my state all of the paperwork from the dealership in order to register it. I had to pay taxes based upon the sales paperwork from the dealer.

We bought in NY and had to pay taxes on it once we registered in PA.

I bought my car in PA 3-4 years ago. I paid PA Taxes and when I went to register the car, I had to pay the difference between PA and NY state taxes. In the end, I didnt spend anymore in taxes than what I would have if I bought the car in NY. I did save money on the purchase price by going to PA and that’s why I did it.

Now, if you buy the car at a lower price, NYS does not care what you bought it at anymore. They charge taxes on what the car is worth (book value… I dont know what book though). This is to get around the whole, “I bought it from my grandparents for a $1” trend. NYS still gets their money…

nys doesnt tax you on the book value… they only do that if you say you bought it for 20 bux and they know its worth 40k…

if its worth 40k and i say i paid 30 and it had a “blown engine”

they cant say shit…

chances are im going to have to pay the full taxes… since i wont have any good way of making a dealer bill of sale

In MI my dad had to pay the MI taxes 6% which they sent to NY and pay the other 2.75% when he registered the vehicle.

We had the correct the dealership twice since MI does not net the trade in out of the total for tax purposes like NY.

Yep, that is what I had to do when I bought my Trailblazer in MI from a dealership.

No way a dealer is gonna stick thier neck our for anyone and write you a lower receipt anyways, I wouldn’t if I were them.

Most dealers that aren’t pieces of shit are going to collect the taxes at the time of purchase. This is esp. true if you finance the car.

When I bought my Elise in Chicago from a dealer, I did not pay ANY tax to them. Only certain states can collect NYS tax.

Secondly, the dealer’s name is typically on the title, so you can’t really make up a fake bill of sale without some serious effort…

Just plan on paying 8.75% if your buying from a dealer, in-state or out of state.

what did you buy? E55 amg?

Wrong. Didn’t pay a dime in NC sales tax when I bought my GTO. Huge high end dealership, even handled the NC temp tag for me. Payed all of the NY tax when I registered it here. A little less than 2/3rds value financed through Capital One.

well, in NC, you don’t pay sales tax on the car.

Technically it’s only a “highway use tax”, so you don’t pay the tax unless you register for use there. In NY, it is a true sales tax.

bought car in ohio, did not pay tax til registered here.

I guess I was thinking if you financed through the dealer, so nevermind.

However when I purchased my LGT in NC IIRC the paperwork of some sort was sent directly to the state. When I purchased my S4 in CO, the taxes were pre-collected. I don’t think I ever registered a car in NYS though, so just ignore me :mamoru:

this