Buying a car out of state....

I’ve got most of things handled, but the one thing that seems odd to me is the dealer wants to collect 4% of the NY sales tax at the time of purchase. I’ve always thought that all sales tax was paid to NYS directly. It just seems a bit off as none of the other potential dealers I’ve contacted have requested this.

I know some of you have bought vehicles out of state, ever run into this?

bought mine in CT about 7 years ago… pretty sure i paid 100% to NYS DMV when i registered the car. 8.25 for fuckin rentler county

Yeah, it just seemed sketchy, especially for a Cadillac dealer. At renss county tax rates its a good chunk of money

When I bought my Excursion in Mass they collected the taxes on the truck and then cut me a check back made out to the NYS DMV.

When I bought the X5 in Virginia, I paid an estimated NYS tax on it, because they HAVE to register it. A few weeks later, I got the check from them for the difference. No big deal.

If they want you to pay 4%, something seems a little weird.

Yeah, thats what I found odd, that they only wanted 4% and they would give me paperwork documenting that they had collected that portion. They also said they vehicle would come with a 30 day temp tag (dealership is in FL) and drive it home to register it. Just seemed VERY odd. It was a little more then I was looking at spending, but its a low mileage CPO. After doing some digging it appears it was in an accident even though its not reported (just in the events section of carfax it mentions that the door and fender have been replaced)…

Eh… Think I’m just going to continue my search

Yep, good idea.

Yup usually if you pay the sales tax to the dealer they cut you a check for what you paid either to the DMV directly or to you and you take care of it.

i assume you’re still hunting for Caddillacs then, but what model are you looking for in particular?

Sts-v