buying a car from out of state dealer. (florida)

What’s the deal. How does tax work? Temporary tags?

driving home or shipping?

prefer to drive home, but shipping is an option… whatever is easier i guess…

temp tags, you’ll need full insurance and proof of it, your bill of sale, and the florida title in case you are stopped. check their dmv website for specifics, it varies from state to state.

what are you looking at, elise?

Shipping would prolly be easier… but You could rock out the elise on the thruway the whole way home if You drive. :shrug:

I dunno about FL, but for NYS:
Transport tags & insurance needed to “transport” with NYS temp tags.
You will need proof of tax paid when You register it up here (or THEY WILL charge you NY ST as well).

Click:
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/register.htm#outofstate
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/register.htm#prooftax
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/register.htm#temporary

You’ll get a temp tag from the dealer, you’ll need to have ins. and then when you register it here you need to pay the tax to get plates at the DMV

X…

P.S. the suck part is you can’t roll the tax into your payment.

what are you getting?

good point, almost forgot: do not let the dealership collect the full NYS tax for you, many states are not authorized to do so. also, don’t let them “handle” the titlework for you - get the title at point of purchase.

u can have your tax rolled into the loan if you want, i did this with my audi when i bought it out of NJ and my gf did this with her is300 she bought out of MA… (which by the way does NOT issue temp plates)

its newman were talking about, its obviously an Escalade w/twennyfo’s

but yea wen my neighbor got his car outta state i think he just needed proof of insurance, bill of sale and obviously the temp plates.

i didnt look at those links yet, but, do i pay no tax to the dealer?

If you bought the vehicle from a NYS automobile dealer or an out-of-state dealer that is authorized to collect NYS sales tax, bring the dealer’s bill of sale that shows that you paid NYS sales tax. Also bring form MV-50 (NYS dealer only) or form DTF-803 (out-of-state dealer). If NYS sales tax was paid to a NYS dealer, sales tax is not collected when you apply for a vehicle registration, and the DMV does not issue a sales tax receipt.

If you paid out-of-state sales tax, show the out-of-state dealer bill of sale. The bill of sale must show the purchase price and the amount of out-of-state sales tax paid to the dealer. Use form DTF-804 to claim credit for the state and local sales taxes you paid in the other state. This process can reduce the amount of your NYS sales tax if NYS and the other state have an agreement about sales tax.

Nikuk FTW

A Yugo.

Fully equipped.

nothing special…

i have to make some useful posts… right?

That brings it to a 1000:1 useless to good post ratio :wink:

No love from the Bored @ Work crew?

weaksauce

Matt made me do it, i thought it was great info!

i :heart: you…jack doesnt post during the day anyomore so ur my next victim