How do I get a car back from out of state?

I need to transport a car back from NJ without registering it. Any ideas?

good luck, idk anyone that would be willing to let someone use theyre dealer plate. ill ask tho.

Can’t you get temp tags?

Lending a dealer plate is a huge liability.

Yeah man, most states issue temp tags for < $30. Just do that.

temp tags would be your best bet… i dont know which way your taking but always run into several cops going to nj

Alright - I’ll bite - how hard is it to get the temp? I looked up the form, and it requires the “owner” to fill out a section and have proof of ownership and id. Has anyone done this before?

call up NYS dmv and NJ dmv for the answer to that question

Michigan: You have to file papers with a magistrate when the car is sold anyway, so you just pay for the temp tag there.

North Carolina: Dealer took care of it for me, but it was just a matter of paying $20 + proof of ownership and insurance. I faxed the sales guy I was working with my insurance info and drivers license and he had the temp tag waiting for me when my plane landed.

Those are the two states I’ve had temp tags from. Guessing it’s the same everywhere. Google is your friend.

NYS does not issue temp tags for out of state purchases. Proof of ownership = title (bill of sale is good too, but not necessary). ID is self explanatory. You’ll want an insurance card that is current as well, so you have proof of insurance (companies cover new purchases for like 15 or 30 days or something).

It’s really really easy.

i think sc is the best, 30 days with nothing but bill of sale.

make your own just type in some numbers and letters and click print presto done. no im joking pay 20 bucks and your good

Nobody is going to let you use a dealer plate for transport of a car so that is completely out of the question. There was a thread not too long ago about this.

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19398&highlight=dealer+plat

where in NJ are you picking up the car?

Newark.

I didn’t search and didn’t see that other post. My apologies. So, any other suggestions (that don’t involve towing)?

is that the NY form or the NJ form? I think you have to get the temporary or “in-transit” permit in NJ

It was the NY form. Do I only need a NJ one? Should I ask the current owner to get one?

take back roads

ive done that drive sooooooooo many times without getting pulled over, but i still wouldnt risk it

Yeah, I’m sketchy about it too.