How do I get a car back from out of state?

This is what you need but I can’t find the form online
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/TemporaryRegistration.htm

[quote=“sureshot007,post:15,topic:25572"”]

Newark.

I didn’t search and didn’t see that other post. My apologies. So, any other suggestions (that don’t involve towing)?

[/quote]

if you want i can go take a look at it for you… but i have no suggestions about the car transportation besides a temp plate… or you can ask them to let you drive it back to NY and send them the plates…

[quote=“sureshot007,post:17,topic:25572"”]

It was the NY form. Do I only need a NJ one? Should I ask the current owner to get one?

[/quote]

Goddamn. This is not hard. Read the NJ site to find out what you need to get a temp tag (it sounds like you already did that). Go buy the car. Get a tag. Drive it the fuck back.

I already posted the info you need.

NYS does not issue temp tags for out of state purchases. Proof of ownership = title (bill of sale is good too, but not necessary). ID is self explanatory. You’ll want an insurance card that is current as well, so you have proof of insurance (companies cover new purchases for like 15 or 30 days or something).

It’s really really easy.

Visit an MVC Agency to complete an application for temporary vehicle registration (Form BA-49). You will need to provide the title verifying the out-of-state address and proof of insurance. A $5 fee will be applied.

That’s from Marnie’s link. The part I don’t get is the title verifying the out-of-state address. If you just bought the car in NJ how would the title show that? The title would obviously still have a NJ address. Probably just a mistake on the site. Why not just call the NJ DMV and get a 100% right answer?

But anyway, :tup: to NJ only charging $5 for the 20 day tag. That’s a deal.

They may have an address section to fill out on the newly signed title, like NY does.