Out of state vehicle purchase questions.

I can’t seem to fins what I want locally, but find plenty of things in the NC/TN or TX area. My plan was to fly down, purchase the vehicle and drive it home. I don’t want to pay for something sight unseen. So there is no way to have paperwork sent to me to do the DMV stuff, and I may make the trip to look at multiple things. So Does ever states DMV offer a temp tag so I can drive whatever I buy home, or each state different?

Temp tags in NY are for moving it from one NY county to another NY county.

If you want to purchase a vehicle out of state and drive it back as you are describing you must get temp plates from that states DMV. Not all states offer it. I believe NC does it for $5 plus proof of ownership and insurance.

Why not ship it? I’ve had my last two vehicles shipped to me. It was great.

what are you looking to buy

Word to getting a temp tag from the state’s DMV. Most will make you put insurance on it before they’ll issue it. Either that, or see if the seller will let you drive it home on their plates and ship them back if you offer to put it on your insurance and sign a CYA agreement.

I would be looking to get a temp tag in the state I purchased the vehicle. I can call my insures and have them fax proof of insurance to whatever dmv I’m at also. I’d like to make a mini vacation out of it or I’d have it shipped. @Kramer I’ll shoot you a pm

cmon post the link

There are intrastate and interstate temp tags. NY will absolutely issue interstate temp tags allowing people from out of state to buy a vehicle here and drive it home. Other states do the same. If you are required to have insurance, which you absolutely should have, just call your insurance agent and have them fax the ID cards over. I think fax machine technology finally got to the South a few years ago so you should be good.

No specific one yet, but I’m finding plenty of nice rust free stuff in the South that’s reasonably priced.

I can tell you without a doubt that NC, PA, OH and MI all offer temp tags the same day as sale to out of staters because I’ve bought cars in each of those states and drove them home. Forget about the NY temp tag unless you’ve already bought the car out of state and plan to bring the plate with you. Most states offer transit tags. Figure somewhere between $10 and $80 depending on how red or blue the state is.

That’s what I was looking for. Thanks! I don’t plan to bother with nys dmv untill I have something here to register.