buying a car out of state?

the rents are buying my sister her first car (must be nice to be the baby girl of the family). it’s in ohio, we are paying cash for it.

i know some of you have bought cars out of state before. tell me what i need to do to get this thing back here legally.

if you are getting an in transit permit from ohio to drive it back here, you will need:

-Driver’s license
-proof of insurance in whoever’s name the car is going in
-a bill of sale, just a wrote up line saying how much you bought it for with signatures to show their dmv, even though you don’t pay sales tax until you register it in NY

tell them to take some windshield washer fluid just in case

bill of sale, put insurance on it, get transfer plate from Ohio DMV. Or you can blow the current owners to bring it home with their plate on it. If you’re certain you’re buying it you can also register in NY before you go there, but then if it’s a roach you’re stuck.

+1 to what above says or rent a dolly from U-haul in Ohio and trailer it back.

so i get the temp tags from ohio and not NY? interesting

sorry to go OT
but does it really post that automatically by itself? the blackberry thing
it’s annoying

Cool

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab for NYSpeed

When I picked up my Formula in Oct the seller let me drive back with their plate

its worth asking about, alot of sellers are cool about it especially if you pick up your own insurance on the car

When buying from ohio i think you need a notary to witness the signing of the title.Kind of a pain in ass if your going on the weekend.

Now that you mention it you do. Me and avatar picked up his bike from there and they had it notarized. Good call.

You always get a temp tag from the place you are buying the car from. Which sucks if you want to do this on a weekend. Texas offers a resident 5 day temp tag to move cars which is cool. I don’t know if any other state allows resident temp tags though.

Make sure you get the title notarized before/when you sign the title. I had an issue with this before.

I bought a truck from an ohio dealership and they gave me the ohio in transit plate right there. It is good for 30 days, and I used all 30…

thanks for the info guys. we were planning on doing this over a weekend, looks like we will have to make some adjustments.

and yes it posts this crap automatically

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab for NYSpeed

Does she need some help breaking it in properly?

I was going to make a new thread then I found this. I may be purchasing a car from South Carolina, does anyone know if anything is different there?

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: You get one million points from me for not being a fucking retard and actually searching

Glad I was able to make your day.

Call the state DMV or DOT you are getting it from, that’s what I did. Every state has a different policy but you will need insurance, the title, and bill of sale and they will give you some sort of temp tag. Some states do 3 day some are 30 day. Should be cheap though. NY has nothing to do with it though because the car won’t be registered in NY till you get to the NYS DMV, but since it is legal from another state you are fine. This way, the person who sold it is in no way responsible for you or the car on the way home.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

I think its hilarious that someone would look to NYS for a decent answer and not say…google. Maybe find some legit websites or at least a phone number to call.

Thanks, I had already called the SC DMV and they told me about the process for a transit tag. I posted on here to get some personal experiences or lessons learned by people in this area and dealing with the NYS DMV. I google everything but I also like to get people’s opinions if I can.