Buying a car out of state - Your experiences

I’ve been looking for cars out of state (Florida, Texas…) Just curious to hear your experiences on the matter

LOL, I’m not getting a Gay neon! It was a joke sorry. I know what I’m getting.

My dad bought a car off ebay a few years ago. The transaction went very smoothly. We are on LI and the car was in Kansas City, MO. The seller was a used car salesman so im not sure if that is what made it so smooth, but either way it was pleasant.
All the funds were transfered before we even saw the car(in person). Insurance, registration was also completed. We flew out there slapped on tha plates and drove home. The seller was very nice too. Picked us up at the airport and even bought us lunch. That impressed me.
I guess i am just used to the hustle bustle and assholes of the metro area. This guy seemed very honest. The car also never failed on us. So based on my experience, i would do it again. But ours may have been unique.

my experience would be don’t be a faggot and get an srt-4.

get the ultra-:snky: c4 vette!!!

But seriously, i have only bought from out of state dealers, but it was always EASY.

srt-4 would be a pretty lame choice

yeah… an srt 4 is gay… but so are you, so it actually would work out… hell you should buy two for the amount of cock you suck

I got my last 2 cars out of state, private seller from North Carolina and dealer in Pennsylvania.

The GTO i added to my insurance policy the day i flew down there, previous owner picked me up at the airport, signed some paperwork and a cover your ass agreement for him that I would be responsible for the car in case of an accident, and he let me drive home on his plates and fedex them back. Total transaction time, half hour.

The dealer, completed the deal on ebay, drove down there, swapped GTO for TBSS, wrote check for first payment, gave him proof of insurance, signed shit, they had 30 day temp tag ready to go, total time 45 min.

Both very positive transactions, whether or not they’re honest about the little things is usually the best tip off as to whether you can trust them or not. IE, GTO owner told me, without asking, that the stock tires only had about 2k miles of tread left on them.

:lol:

I got my M3 from Michigan, which I suggest you reconsider the M3 you were looking into earlier unless he already sold it…

Don’t want to thread jack but related question: I just bought a bike in OH. On the title there is a line for it to be notarized. Didn’t have a notary handy last night when everything was signed over, but I have all the other things filled out and a bill of sale.

Is NY going to care when I apply for a title? Anyone have experience with transferring a title from OH?

you definitely need it notarized…

I’ve bought three out of state now.

Whay do you want to know?

One each from: New Jersey (ebay); New Hampshire (forum); and Oklahoma (forum).

All three of em shipped via trustytransport.com; Two via Paypal, One via USPS MO (mail MO out, once cleared title & docs fedex overnight, place transport order).

bought my Mustang from Ohio…PMed the guy a few times through Corral.net, talked to him on the phone numerous times, and agreed to meet him halfway. set up a meeting spot, drove my truck down there with a rented car trailer, met him at the place right on time, loaded the car up, gave him the cash, had him write me a receipt for far less than i really paid, signed the title over and I was on my way home. only somewhat non-legit part was in the state of Ohio the title has to be notarized with both parties present (or something like that), and the seller’s “friend” was a notary and he had it done prior to the sale. DMV never gave me shit before so i guess it was all good.

I would NEVER buy a car again without physically seeing if first though. You can look at a million pictures of the thing, which I did, but there were still a lot of things that were not apparent to me or not quite as the seller described until I actually saw the car. Granted, I’m almost 100% positive I would have bought the car anyway, but it ticked me off a bit and I’m really glad I was able to trailer it home and didn’t have to drive it. That said, I would say If you are really serious about buying a car, and you’re gonna be spending a substantial amount on it, fly down and look at it first. IMO it would be worth the couple hundred it will cost to fly down there first just to make sure the car is good before you go dropping tens of thousands of dollars on it.

my car came from OH and u definitely do need it notarized. you’re either gonna have to drive back to OH or mail the guy back the title, have him get it notarized and then mail it back to you. but the DMV won’t even talk to you if its not notarized.

3 out of state and 1 out of country.

All went perfectly.

The Canada one I trailered back, and I tow dollied the Fiero from Cleveland. GTO I flew to NC and drove home, and Expedition I rented a car one way to Detroit and drove home.

Hopefully my next one I can get a great deal from Torqdss and have it delivered right to my driveway like my boss did on his new Envoy from Dave.

I have bought a bunch of cars out of state over the years, mostly with no problems

However one time I bought a car sight unseen from Florida, the car was being sold through a dealership and I viewed tons of pics

When the car showed up it was a total piece of shit, looked nothing like the pics, had 179k on it (clearly stamped on title) not 79k like I was told (it was a 78’ so no carfax)
It had been through a flood or two, no lights or signals worked on it, tranny slipped horribly, dry rot bald tires, interior looked like it was a nuclear proving ground, the car has rust holes the size of baseballs despite the fact they didnt show in the pics and it was supposed to be a lifelong FL car, upon taking it to the car wash the red paint came right off revealing a old cracked red finish that had faded to pink ect ect

I contacted the previous owner through his info on the title, he stated he paid $50 for the car and had dumped a non numbers matching drivetrain in it to get it running since the old engine was hydrolocked

I paid 2k for this fucking POS

Basically the guy at the dealership wanted to know nothing, he acted like I should have assumed being a 78 that it would have 179k on it (this was like 10 years ago)

Why would I assume when he told me outright it had 79k on it??

He told me being near the ocean caused the rust (maybe surface rust , this thing had roadsalt rust)

Anyways I made threats (after getting no where I told him I would drive it through the side of his fucking building to which he stopped taking my calls) and filed a complaint with the BBB ect ect

So I waited several months dealing with paperwork and investigators ect ect and it all came down to the fact that Florida has no lemon laws, no one either could or would help me out

So I tried to fix the car up and drive it (which was a failed experiment) , it sat around my yard for 6 months, I ebayed it and lost $1500 on it

Lesson learned and upon my next trip to Jacksonville FL I will look up the dealership and if the salesman is still there hes getting my fist in his mouth

One other time I went to look at a car in Rochester and the dude swore up and down 100 times it was rust free, I told him if I found rust I would not buy it, he said “yeah dude trust me, no rust”

Well I crawl under the car and find a hole you could put a softball through, he says “well it had rust but I cut that spot out”

Also the torque box was rusting out but he had touched that up with POR-15 lol

Wtf, that was a wasted day

So yeah for as many good transactions that occur there are horror stories out there

i just recently purchased a vehicle from CT last week… I flew down there, and drove it back… went as smooth as a local sale… it was private and we talked numerously online, forums, on phone and by email, and sent millions of pics…

Last four I’ve bought were out of state, all in different states. Three were picked up, one delivered. If it’s from a private owner and you’re gonna drive it, find out what that state’s DMV requires for temp tags. Otherwise just square up the insurance.

Thanks for the notary info. I’ll have to mail the title back and have him get it done. I guess his aunt is a notary so it should be no problem.

I bought a car from OH from a private seller a couple years ago. Drove down one day to see it and test drive it. Left a deposit and drove down a week later to pick it up. Upon arriving there, a friend and I jumped in the seller’s truck and headed down to the
DMV. The DMV I went to had the notary right in it. Got my temp tags and made the 4 hour drive home.

It’s all who you deal with.

It depends what you’re buying and from where. Every state is a little different so call the DMV in the state where you’re buying from to find out the specifics. Also, there are so many national and regional car forums for every model vehicle now that it’s not too difficult to find someone who will go look at cars for you.

Driving the car home legally is not an issue if you have the title. You simply register and insure it in NY, get your plates and window tag and go get the car. The problem with this is that you might not be able to check the car out yourself. It’s also harder to negotiate because we know that you usually get the best deal when you show up with a cash offer. You can get a 30 day temporary NYS transport registration but, again, you need the title.

There are a few states (Kentucky, for example) where the plates stay with the car. You just need to add the car to your insurance and then drive it back to NY and register it.

The alternative option is what I did when I bought the S4: I took plates off another car I owned, went out there, and made a deal. I put the plates on the car and drove it back. I DID add the car to my insurance beforehand so it was at least insured. A lot of people do this but keep in mind it’s illegal. I’m not sure what the fine is. As soon as I got into NY state I found the nearest DMV and registered it so I could drive the rest of the way legally.