Buying a car out of state - Your experiences

I got my Range Rover and Jeep from out of state. Infact, both were eBay purchases.

Both times a flew to pick up, drove around for a bit… everything was good so i drove them back.

Picked up the Jeep in North Caroliona. Picked up the Rover from Illinois.

Beyond driving them back, i see no difference between buying in or out of NYS. You still have to pay the taxes… so it doesn’t matter.

Any common questions I should look for? other than service documents, and a million pictures?

I bought a car in Pa it was a honda crx.
I drove down there, payed for the car it was a sunday.
Its not legal to sell a car in pa on a sunday.
So I drove the car home with a reciept from saturday and his plate.
Rocked his plate for the fallowing day and mailed them back to him.
No problems at all.

There are outside service companies you can find to go look at/inspect the car for you

If your spending a good $ I would reccomend it

Also try posting on a national car forum relating to the make or model and try to find someone local to check it out for you

I just bought my car from jersey. It turned out great. I dunno if id go to texas tho

Here’s my first and only experience thus far with buying a car out of state ( I have bought car’s from in state and hours away site unseen before but this is my first out of state one).

Back in October I was looking at M3’s and found one in great condition in Indianapolis, Indiana. After checking price, mileage, packages, mods, etc. I found it to be what I wanted in my price range. Spoke to my bank and was approved for the loan.

1st step. Discussion of maintenence, will it make the trip from Indy to NY, etc.
—Of course the owner said it was perfect, had a 3 ring binder full of maintenence, told me it had a new water pump with metal impeller (common flaw with M3’s w/ plastic impellers).
—Agreed on a few hundred off the asking price due to the rear tires needing replacement after coming back to NY.

2nd step. Discussion of title/acceptance of checks via bank/Indiana temp tags?
—this turned out to be a problem. He had a lien on the title and in Indiana the bank holds the title. His bank being Capital One online, it would take 6-10 days for them to mail the title/lien release to him after it was paid off.
—Indy also didn’t issue temp tags according to what I found on the DMV.
—Luckily my Dad owns a few dealerships and has numerous dealer plates, so he let me borrow one to drive the car back.

3rd step. Transport out there. Fly? Drive? Bus?
—MPD47 decided to go out with me and take a look at the car with me since he is a BMW guru I knew he would know what to look for to see if the car had been beat on, or if it was a good deal. So we did a road trip out to Chi-town (for other business) then to Indy.

So everything went fine the car was perfect, the guy seemed chill, signed the checks over to him, got a signed bill of sale, put the plate on, taped the front end off, gassed up and on our way we were.

PROBLEM #1:

About 120 miles out of Indy just before the Ohio border the temp spiked and the light came on for it overheating, oh shit.

Pull over, take a look and the radiator end tank snapped off.

Look through the binder and there’s no maintenence of the cooling system being overhauled as he had claimed it had.

Called the owner, he said he would pay for parts to get it fixed otherwise I was going to stop payment on the checks and he could come pick the car up. Sounded all good to me.

Ended up having to tow the car back from Indy using a U-Haul.

After a week of arguing with the P/O and more problems (see below) we got the car fixed.

As MPD assumed not only the radiator broke, but the water pump impeller was plastic not metal as I was told. After replacing all the parts needed the car ran perfect so there was no reason to return it.

PROBLEM #2:

The guys bank would not accept my checks the next day, although they were certified bank checks and they even called my bank and verified the amount, they still wouldn’t accept them. They assumed my bank was fraudulent.

So now he was pissed about the checks, and me about the car. Eventually my bank did a free wire transfer to his account (minus a set aside amount for me for the tires & parts he agreed to pay).

Now he was pissed saying the bank shorted him 1100 dollars. I explained that they took out the 400 we agreed on difference for the tires, and then the rest for the parts it would take to make the car right again.

He wanted me to mail him the 700 to fulfill the original agreement, and then he would send it back to fulfill the 2nd agreement (dumbest thing I had ever heard and knew he was just trying to screw me & wouldn’t send it back) but he had the title still and was refusing to mail it so what could I do?

After a call to my father and the Indiana State Police, I was confident that I was in the clear and informed him he had to mail it since he had his money and if not I would be contacting the State Police I had spoke to regarding the issue.

Within the next couple weeks I had the title (kept saying he mailed it out and it bouncing back, etc.) but this was rediculous I bought the car early October, but didn’t get the title til November and was on a dealer plate the entire time.

Needless to say if I ever did it again I would do a few things different but the car is a dream and haven’t had a single problem since.

Well in texas I have AFHockey (san antonio region) that is BORED AS FUCK that wants to look at them, My Brother in del rio. In Florida I have relatives around the tampa fort lauderdale. So thats covered. NYC my good friends father has a dealership, he’s willing to look around for me too.

I did not know about the outside companies that did that. Any estimates on the cost?

Thanks for all the feedback thus far.

I do intend to fly down and drive the car back. Hopefully by May 1st. I’ve been beaten by locals on 2 so far though.

Excellent thank you. Problem 2 was my largest concern.

I’ll read through it again. greatly appreciated for the time you spent

After you check the car out and make sure it is 100% what you want, there are 3 things I would make sure to find out before committing:

1. If he has the title in hand. Is it clean. Does it need to be notorized.

2. If there is a lien, if so does he owe on it? If not does he have the release paper already or will the bank be printing it the day you get the car.

3. Will his bank accept your banks checks and if so who do they need to be made out to (him, you, both of you, or his bank directly). Or do you need to do a wire transfer, which I found to be the easiest thing but bank’s usually have a small fee with that type of transaction.

All of those will make your transaction go smoothly, the last thing you want to worry about is getting there and having a problem with the transaction causing the trip to be wasted.

Screw you :zong:

lol. <3

yeah def have to make sure everything is clear with the car and everything is good before u take a trip
i had a bad ebay exerience :frowning:
i bought an 04 sti on there and it was full of problems
we did the carfax and it had something come up under odometer that didn’t make sense so we called subaru on southwestern since my dad knows the one guy and he pulled up the vin and found out the car had a blown engine and transmission and were rebuilt and all the wiring harnesses were cut for possibly track racing, the odometer was messed up and replaced and had an additional 8k miles on it. and there was also this same car on like 2 diff sites and owned by 2 diff people so yeah.

but my other out of state experience was good

i bought my evo from a guy in springfield illinois. i found the evo on cars.com and talked to the guy on a saturday morning and had him send a ton of pics and i did the vin on carfax. later made him an offer and gave him a small deposit via paypal to ensure he holds it. monday i went to talk to a shipper but i couldn’t get the car until the week after and i was too pumped to wait so i started looking for flights. flights to springfield and were outrageous but flights to chicago weren’t that bad and he also had a apartment in chicago. i called him to tell him about the flights and he agreed to drive to chicago to meet us at the airport. we borrowed a dealer plate from a friend of ours. we flew out wednesday morning and met him at the airport. gave him the check. which shoulda went fast, but the bank manager gave the guy i bought the car from some unsure feelings that our check could be fake so we had to call m&t to wire the money to his account. he signed the title and gave it to us. and drove the car home with my dad.

ive bought several cars from new jersey, never had a bad experience.

one quick question, if you are buying an out of state vehicle, do you need to get temp plates/reg from new york state or the state you are buying it from? and also what do you need to provide to get the temp plates/reg

Maybe from Ohio, but I buy cars from out of state all the time and never had a single problem with a handwritten receipt and the signed title. Most times they just look a the reciept for the purchase price then hand it back to me since the title is the actual legal document. If in doubt go to Delevan, in and out in minutes and they never give you a hassle. I even forgot some paperwork one time and the girl told me not to worry about it. I told her I could go and get it and she told me she wouldn’t make me do that. She just laughed and fixed whatever she had to do.

DMV (offices) have gotten better over the years.

On the two I drove home I did that state’s temp tags, not NY. MI the dealer told us to go have lunch and he sent a lacky to get the temp tag from the magistrate (no DMV in MI). NC the dealer got the temp tag on the car while I was signing paperwork.

I don’t think you can get a temp tag in NY for a car that isn’t yours, and it won’t be yours until you get there and get a receipt for it at which point you’re no longer in NY. The old catch-22.

you get the temp plates from that states dmv that you are buying the car from and you need the title in your name and insurance on the car under your name to get them.
ny wont give you them unless you have title in hand which if your buying the car, i doubt they would send you the title before you get it

What would you do if the state you are buying the vehicle does not offer temporary tags unless you are a dealer. They give you 7 days and all you need is the dated bill of sale. Would this be safe to drive across other states though…

honestly im not sure
for me i borrowed a friend of mines dealer plate from around here to get my evo home
:shrug:

usually the state you are buying the car from gives you a temp plate to get it home
and you just have to make sure you added it to your insurance before you get it just incase anything goes wrong

hmmm… i see that ryanmcell did that as well. I do have a friend that owns a small dealership, i will see what he can do for me. thanks

My dad bought a corvette off ebay from South Carolina, it went horrible the shipping company (I forgot who he shipped it through) didnt deliver the car the day it was supposed to come no big deal right? So almost 3 weeks goes by after the date he was supposed to have it. When he tried calling the guy to figure out the problem he ignored his calls or everytime he called someone else would answer the phone and say the guy wasnt there. So he used his connections of being a police officer and threatened him pretty good about not having the car and talked about going to jail for taking his money blah blah blah and the car came within 3 days haha. But other then that the car wasnt in bad shape at all, you just have to watch out for scammers.