question about buying a car from florida

So I’m buying my grandmother’s VW EOS because she’s giving it to me for almost nothing.

I’m thinking I should just drive it home from florida on her plates then mail them back.

or should I get temp tags (would they be from florida or NY?)

what’s the easiest way to do this?

also, should I use the NY gift form and say it’s free or is this not worth it for like $350 in sales tax savings?

Get temp tags from NY.

Have her sign a note that states:

“Grandma ____ Sold a 19xx VW POS to theblue for $500 as is.”

Both sign and date. Pay the tax on the $500.

EDIT: NOPE - See post 19.

it’s got a book value of like $17k and only 20k miles on it… not sure $500 will work on this one?

can anybody confirm that you get plates from NY and not the state you’re buying from?

When I got my 135 from Minnesota, they gave me the temp tag from NY which gives you 31 days to register it.

If it is not a parent/child transfer, the DMV is pretty strict with who eats the financial responsibility for it so I would just pay the sales tax and save yourself or your family trouble.

How do they know it isn’t a pos and needs work? It could be without a motor…it could be a rolling shell and truly worth $500…

Ask the DMV about that lol

I have heard of them using NADA values in cases where cars were in a certain year range if the value was way off.

What year is the car? Last time I looked into this I thought there was a year cut off

Are you paying 17k? If so, tell her to take it off the price.

I know the state is dumb, but I think they may wondernwhy you need tags to drive a car with no motor. Get the affidavit form for sales tax and have her gift it. Not sure how that will work when it comes to tax time though.

The only time I have ever heard about someone getting shit from the DMV was because some lady thinks she might know something and get employee of the year. I say STFU and do your job. You don’t get paid to guess vehicle values, you get paid to process DMV transactions.

What am I; chopped liver? I just told you to get temp tags from NY…I can say it again :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe he is taking the motor with him and dropping it in while he stays down there for the weekend and he will drive it back? How can they argue with you about that?

Maybe someone else can chime in but I was under the impression they audit those forms and can come back and ask you why it was XYZ price.

I had a buddy who bought a shell of a snowmobile because he wrecked his, but his motor was still salvageable. He went to the DMV and some lady didn’t think he was telling the truth. He told her he was going to bring the shell down for her to see it…she thought she was going to make a name for herself because she doesn’t know anything other than DMV processing…

The only way the $500 gets you fucked is if you have it insured for $500 because you don’t want to pay $1,200 for a premium and you wind up driving it off the road into a tree/house/bird sanctuary. The insurance will only give you $500.

You can write a bill of sale for any amount. I sold a car for a set of tires once. True story. That was on the receipt with an estimated value of $600.

EDIT: Doesn’t work anymore - See post 19. In Beck we trust.

And in that case, the insurance knows nothing about your bill of sale. The insurance company is only going to insure it to their insurable interest, which is usually the replacement cost or the loan value.

I’m getting it for $5k, books at $17k. Not worth the drama to save $350 probably. Then again I might get the same audit even at the real $5k I’m buying it for.

Exactly.

I think you have to process a certain number of cars per year in order to get the audit…not really sure the rules on that though…

Up until recently, you could sell a car for whatever you want. The past couple years, the DMV will use NADA to determine the value of the car.

So yeah, you can “skim the skim” a little bit and maybe make it out for $10,000…but anything less than that and I think you’re asking for it.

The last thing I would want to be involved in, would be a NYS ran audit. Especially, to save at most, $1,000.

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

5 or more, before you need a dealer’s license.

^ would disregard everything I posted and follow what Beck said. I have not sold a car in 3 years. So, I would agree that things could have changed.