question about buying a car from florida

That’s a good way to shaft someone who really is buying a roller. They are going to price it out as if it is a fully functioning car by NADA standards?

I bought my last car from Florida BUT from a dealer. I had a temp tag from FL for 30 days to register it here. When I bought a car from VA private party I brought NYS temp tags with me for 30 days(IIRC) as well.

You’re going to have to annotate that it’s a family member.

Use this form:

Out of state, might be different though… You’ll have to ask.

I think the point is paying something versus disclosing. If you prove that the sale price was $500 you won’t be in trouble. But if you pay $5k and only disclose $500 you’re fucked.

I’m sure with proof, yes. But what car is going to be a roller that is going to be worth more than $15k? You’re talking the extreme exception, not the rule.

A rolling 2001 Camaro shell, can’t be worth a large difference less than a 2001 Camaro that runs and drives. A 12 year old Camaro could feasibly sell for $2,500… see what I’m saying?

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

Exactly.

To save $500? NO THANKS.

I think I just pulled the quickest 180° in NYSpeed history.

It’s also not the girl at the window who’s going to catch you. It’s going to get caught in processing. When 10,000 EOS vehicles have sold between $12k-$20k and yours “pops up” for $1000…there’s going to be an issue.

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

I like the use of the “degree” sign. Haha.

:rofl:

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

You’ll get the temp from NYS. Take it down to FL with you and you have 30 days to get it registered and inspected. You have to have insurance prior to getting the temp tags though.

EDIT - You won’t get TEMP tags from NYS. Temp tags are issued only to NYS Dealers.

You’ll get temp tags from the Florida DMV.

I would blame computers

I see where you guys are going with it, I just like to play devil’s advocate. Someone is going to get screwed. When I sold RV’s to canadians and they had a trade, when they went through customs, they got taxed on the entire BOS, not the trade difference. Here in NYS, you only pay tax on the TD you pay since you technically already paid tax on whatever you are trading in. I’m honestly surprised NYS hasn’t caught on to it yet…

I’m coming from the naples/tampa area. any votes on taking 95N thru DC vs. the back way up through WV?

Nothing like paying tax on something twice

NY ftw

You’ll have to contact the Florida DMV to get temp tags. I edited my above post. NYS doesn’t issue Temp Tags/in-transit permits to non-dealers. I obviously, never knew this.

^^^I was going to say that too…you beat me to it.

I also remember my teacher in my insurance schooling telling us that if you buy a new car, you can use your plates and your insurance will cover that vehicle and she specifically said that you didn’t have to notify the insurance company ahead of time…I’m trying to find my notes on it… I find it hard to believe, but I also remember her telling me she couldn’t believe it was allowed either…

In most states, car dealerships will require you to have insurance for your new vehicle before you drive it off the lot. If you already have car insurance for your current vehicle, your existing policy will temporarily cover your new car. Even though you are not required to inform your insurance company before buying a car, you don’t want to wait too long after your purchase.

In most cases, you will have 14 to 30 days to inform your car insurance company that you purchased a new vehicle. As long as you’re not buying a vehicle that’s going to be used for business, you’ll likely have coverage under your existing policy. It’s important to inform your insurer about buying a new car within the grace period. Otherwise, you could be driving without insurance entirely and not even know it.

Rules (not NY specific):

Allstate: You must inform Allstate within 30 days of buying a new vehicle; after that, there is no coverage. If you add an additional car, you also have 30 days to tell Allstate. Within that time frame the new vehicle will have the same coverage and deductible that your other car carries.

Progressive: You have 30 days to notify Progressive after you purchase a new car. If the new car replaces your old insured car, it will have the same coverage as the car it replaced for 30 days. After that, if you previously carried collision and comprehensive coverage, it won’t apply to your new vehicle. Only your liability coverage will still be in effect for the remainder of the policy term. If you buy an additional car that doesn’t replace an existing vehicle, it will have the highest coverage you currently have in your policy – but only for 30 days and as long as all your vehicles are insured by Progressive.

State Farm: You have 14 days to let your State Farm agent know that you’ve bought a new car. After 14 days there is no coverage for the vehicle.

But “if the state laws require more, say 30 days, we would have to abide by that ruling,” says Jeff McCollum, spokesperson for State Farm. “But the vast majority of states is 14 days for us.”

I do the drive from NC to Buffalo probably once a year. I would go the WV route. DC traffic is dicey at best, and I-95 is an accident/congestion magnet in general.

There’s a 72 hour lapse where your “old” car is covered and your “new” car is covered.

Beck, correct me if I’m wrong but here’s how I understand & practice it:

If the seller signs the NYS DMV sales tax form (DTF-802) staying that you paid $5000 for the vehicle then you pay taxes on $5000. You pay taxes on what you paid for the car.

If you do not have the DTF-802 form w/ signature from the seller then you pay NADA value. This has replaced a hand written bill of sale.

If you wanted to slip by and say you bought the car for $500 you would need the sellers to state that the vehicle was sold for $500 on the DTF-802 form. Most sellers are usually cool with this.

The only case I have heard of someone being audited by the DMV happened to someone on dubsinthebuff a couple years ago and I believe he was just required to pay the actual sales tax owed instead of a fine. I don’t know any further details.

Aaron, since you’re getting the car from your grandparents that you trust you could just mail them a check and have them mail you the title. Then you do the title transfer & register it up here. Fly down with the plates and drive it home.

Regardless of the presence of the DTF-802 form, the DMV has the authority to charge someone NADA if it’s deemed unreasonable. $5,000 on a $17,000 car is pretty unreasonable. I just know, I’m not going to cut corners on the process or the DTF-802 because the state is DTF-MYASS.

You can stretch a little. IE - $12k instead of $15k, but I just confirmed with someone familiar with the process that people will get charged with tax evasion.

F that. No way I will ever drive that god forsaken stretch of shit between DC and North Carolina again.

Easiest way to handle registration is to drive the car home on the florida plates and mail them back. Or alternatively, have the title mailed here and bring permanent NY plates down. Add vehicle to your insurance for option #1. Any other way would be a waste, especailly considering its a family member.