Got a new car

So my mom gave me her old car so need to get it titled and insured in my name. I dont have a lot of money for taxes or anyting so what are the rules with vehicle gifting? How do they figure the amount of tax that you pay on it if it is given to you as a gift? I was thinking of getting her to give me a recept saying that I “bought the car for $100 as is” but I dont know if thats a good Idea seeing as its a 98 Accord and you cant really get 98’s for $100. Whats the cheapest way to get this car in my name?

i dont think they put any tax on a vehicle that was a gift.

:word:

there is a gift tax.

its pretty expensive i guess.

i’ve heard people selling their kids cars for a buck…just to avoid the gift tax.

Wait, no I think this is what the rule is: If it’s bought from a family member you don’t pay tax. There’s something like that. Just grab the forms from the DMV, I think it’s right on there.

I remember my buddies grandpa giving him a car, and I dont think he had to pay any taxes on it. If it comes down to you having to pay a pretty expensive tax, just do what seenyour beckington said.

NYS DMV rule = if given as a gift, they will look up the blue book value of the vehicle and you pay the tax on that value

make up some bs bill of sale that says you paid $100 and enjoy the 8.75 in taxes :slight_smile:

I gave my father a car and never paid any taxes on it.

:word:

just tell them your mom sold it to you for $100 they won’t question that since it came from a family member.

Then pay $8.75 and be done with it

damn. what happen if i buy a $9000 car from a guy who agreed to sign the gift form?

will i still have to write BS number on the form?

I’ve paid $100 for the majority of vehicles I’ve ever owned. $15k BMW? $100. priceless

Ive registered two cars that where “gifts” from my rents. Never paid any sales tax.

My dad bought my truck in his name so I could get A-Plan on it, his brother works for Ford. I then put the title in my name through as a gift. I DID NOT pay any sales tax, only when I orignally bought it in my dads name. If it is a gift from your immediate family you dont pay sales tax unless something has changed.

So the general idea is that it would probably be easier to jsut make a $100 bill of sale from my mom and then pay the $8.75 in tax and be done with it? How much does it cost to register a vehicle?

thats what I would do…just incase you run into issues with the gift thing…Id rather pay 9 bux than go thru the line again and possibly pay more for taxes

http://nysdmv.com/forms/dtf802_01.pdf

Stupid Honda Accords holding their value so well. :wink:

yea i always do the $100 bill of sale thing, nys already got tax on it when it was bought new so screw them

gift or no gift… if you purchase the car off of a relative / parent you do not need to pay tax on it. I put down a low value when I bought the ghia off of my parrents and they lady @ the DMV asked me if the person on the title was a relative (Same last name) I said yes… she said. no taxes then.

Well heres the next question, My sis is going to insure the car for me cuz she can get it for stupid cheap. If the car is titled and registered in MY name and insured in HER name, do we need to let them know that? What happens if we DONT and I get into an accident? Am I covered or is the CAR coverd? BTW she has Geico.