In need of a little help/guidance...

So my mom’s POS Corsica is finally taking a crap and shes getting a new(er) car. Since my grandma doesn’t drive anymore, my mom wants to buy her '99 Sunfire. Its the typical old lady’s car. only 37000 miles, sits in a garage all day, thing looks like its brand f***ing new. Now for the questions…
Whats the best way to sell a car to a family member? My mom doesnt really know what to do, and my dad isnt helping. What needs to be done…like everything. Thanks for any help

just like selling it to anybody else…check…title…new insurance on it…new registration…inspection valid.

well yea, i feel kinda retarded cause i dont know what questions to ask. basically treat this question like ur talking to someone who knows nothing about buying a car. take it step by step

basically yea…she signs title…she receieves payment…she writes a bill of sale for less than actually paid…then get insurance on it and goto the DMV…if giving as a gift there is part on the yellow sales tax form that needs to be filled out

would it be better to pay like $1 for the car, then give my grandma a gift of $3000 in a week or 2? lol

or you could just do it as a “gift”

dont do gift…u end up payin tax on blue book value… write receipt for2-3 grand…if its to low they can investigate it

It books for around 3K. So if you put down that she sold it to you for 2K you will be ok.

meh, i wouldn’t worry about the DMV investigating anything.

The owner of SSBC buys all his cars for $1, and I know of numerous people who have sold cars for $20.

Write the reciept for $500.

i’ve bought a few cars for “$100”

if they question it, its your grandmother lol, she’s old, loaded with $ and doesn’t need the car

what are they gonna say to that? lol

Ignore all of the above advice. :smiley: If you buy from immediate family members you don’t pay tax. Just do everything normally. Have Grandma sign the title and a home-made receipt. Take em both to the DMV and register the car in Mom’s name. Go ahead and state the full sale price. Use this form:

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/dtf802_01.pdf

awesome, thanks

:tup: correct sir!

one more note…

should ANYTHING go wrong with the car, do not rag on gram’s about it…

petty stuff like that ruins families and friendships… :tup:

:word:s of wisdom

lol thanks

btw… sunfire + cavalier…smell that?..:sniff sniff: yea…i think it smells like a sunfire front end swap lol jk if it was only white

Hmmm
My jetta was “gifted” to me by my dad
and I didn’t pay a cent.

u can write the recipt for like $500 and if they ask any questions just say it needs a lot of work or say that the engine is blown or something long those lines.

What? I had a car registered in my father’s name for insurance reasons and it was just “gifted” to me this year. I didn’t pay any tax.

Look up a couple of posts. You pay no tax when buying a vehicle from a family member. No need for any stories. Just do it by the book.