school me on Grills

Genesis here also, had it for about 6 months and really like it :tup:

Love my weber e320.

Once properly preheated cast iron is going to hold it’s temperature better than stainless, the stainless will recover faster, but also cool faster. I’ve always had issues with hot and cold spots with them.

I suppose it’s ultimately an issue of personal preference. I’ve never really liked the performance of the stainless grates. Though admittedly, I’ve never used a high end stainless grate.

I’ve gone in the opposite direction in the kitchen. I use stainless for most steaks during the winter now, but that’s mostly because I have shit luck making any kind pan sauce in cast iron.

I have a Weber Spirit E-210 and I love it. I bought this one because it’s very nimble since I usually store it in the garage with a cover on it. It only has 2 burners, but 95% of the time I use it to cook for 2 and it works just fine. Flare-ups are minimal to none, it’s very strudy and it’s super easy to clean. I bought a few extra drip trays the other day since Wegmans had a 3 pack on sale. Mine came with as propane guage/hanger as well.

I would stick with Weber, especially since it doesn’t sound like you want to break the budget.

The lady I work with was getting sold on a Char-Broil(?) because the salesperson told her that they are actually starting to build them better than Weber and that they are made in the USA. I told her not to buy into that, but she did anyways and I overheard her mention to another coworker not too long after that she wasn’t too happy with how flimsy it felt.

I’m gonna derail this.

Anyone have a smoker? I’m looking into welding up a smoker/grill combo setup. The store bought stuff just seems like garbage to me.

As for store bought grills, I have no preference.

The stainless grate in the weber is heavier than the cast. They are definitely what I would call high end.

I only use the cast in the kitchen for steaks as it is the grill part of my stove and awesome. There is no making a sauce though.

• Updated - - -

I buy the cheap 40 store smoker, modify it to my liking then use it for two years. I will be on my third one in 7 years this year and I have still spent way less than a good smoker and done a great job at it. There is a member on here that has an awesome smoker built into his garage, not sure if he will see this though and I forget his username.

Looks like weber is the way to go haha. Very good input though on pros and cons of grills though. Thanks for the help so far.

Side note. Unless it’s buried, I’m surprised I couldn’t find a previous grill thread anywhere on here

I got this:
http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070311-40-Inch-Controller-Electric/dp/B0048HU34Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431782908&sr=8-1&keywords=Masterbuilt+20070311

Love it, so easy. They have a bluetooth version coming out in June for $360.

Like many have said before, Weber.

Genesis E-330 here - in baller ass copper.

The only grill that will last you 10+ years is a Weber. Don’t buy those $399 ones either. Spend a little chicken $600-$700 and you’ll be all set. Also, fuck Home Depot. Buy one from Ed Young’s on Main St in Williamsville (It’s the same price, but you get the upgraded stainless grates as opposed to the iron ones at HD).

• Updated - - -

There was one about 3 years ago that I can’t find either.

• Updated - - -

http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.php?238553-Weber-Grill-Owners-(Or-other-mid-range-brands)&highlight=grill

the cheap comes out expensive… spend 2/3 the price of a webber and soon you’ll have spent 1 and 2/3rds.

I bought a Charbroil infrared 3 burner grill about 3 years ago… knock on wood, no problems at all, I bought it because it was about half the price of a comparable Weber… BUT, if/when this grill dies, I will be purchasing a Weber. The fit and finish of a Weber >>>>>>>>the cheapies.

If $$ is no object…go with a SubZero-Wolf out door grill… Wolf>Viking IMO

Going on its 3rd summer. Left out year around. But like said. $$ no issue go with a weber.

I’ve had my Genesis E320 for 5+ years now. It still works perfectly, and I do no maintenance to it other than scraping.

I have a weber q series and the only thing I’ve done in 3 years is clean it. We grill probably 3 times a week on average.