school me on import SUVs

my mom has decided that her TrailBlazer sucks too much gas wants something better. She’s hell bent on getting another SUV (doesnt quite understand that the terms “SUV” and “good gas mileage” dont usually go together). She actually uses the “utility” part a lot for hauling around gardening stuff, 2 large dogs, and just about everything else. She’s hell-bent on a Rav-4, but I hate Toyota’s and I think the Rav-4 is ass-ugly to begin with so I’m trying to figure some other options. Budget is ~25 grand, heres what I have so far:

Chevy Equinox/Pontiac Torrent: test drove an Equinox when we bought the TrailBlazer last year and she hated it then, and probably will still hate it, so thats out.

Jeep Liberty: I’m a fan of the jeep, I love my Wrangler, and I think the new Liberty’s are pretty sharp. I’ve heard bad things about that 3.7 though.

GMC Accadia/whatever the other thing that looks just like it is called: might actually be a little too big, and i dont really see how the same engine that adequately powers a mid-size 4 door sedan is gonna be enough for that larger cross over thing.

Honda CR-V: I know nothing about these. based on looks alone, I am not too crazy about them.

Nissan Murano: Like I said, cargo space is important, and I dont think that thing has enough room. I also would assume its out of the price range.

Nissan X-Terra: Paging Mr. Fry. this thing REALLY intrigues me, especially since I know it comes in a manual, and I know my mom would totally go for that.

Subaru Forester: again, i dont really know much about these. Subaru seems to have a pretty good reputation though.

I was also thinking maybe an AWD wagon would provide enough utility to haul stuff around, and the AWD would be sufficient for the snow. Probably better on gas than a cross-over or an SUV. I was thinking maybe something along the lines of a SLIGHTLY used Audi, Volvo Cross-Country (or whatever they are called) or even a new Subaru Legacy Wagon.

So, thoughts? opinions? advice?

Rav-4 V6 would be on the top of the list IMO. The new ones look o.k. But since this is you I can see why you wouldn’t want it.

Also see:

Honda Pilot

Saturn Vue w/ Honda’s V6

Might require some reading but reinforces the first choice.

Actually the Rogue doesn’t sound that bad.

Why do you hate toyotas?
There is a new body style for the 09 forester, and if i wasn’t going to pick a toyota that would be my second choice. They’re a little larger than the older foresters which sounds perfect for your mom

she thinks the new Vue is ugly (i actually kinda like it) and she looked at a Pilot when we got the TrailBlazer and she didnt like it. its worth another look though

Rav-4. CRV’s are nice too.

Xterra or go big or go home with the ARMADA!

I like the new CR-V. And I’ve always loved the nissan xterra.

according to the EPA, NONE of these are really any better on gas than the TrailBlazer, according to their ratings. but real-world, who knows. they say the TBlazer gets 14 mpg in the city, and I think ours gets more like 10 and thats babying it.

honda cr-v’s are assholes for changing oil, get a cayenne turbo used =D

dont really give a shit about changing the oil since I’ll prob never do it. the Porsche would be nice, i doubt you could even get a used one with decent mileage for <25 grand.

Subaru Forester, plenty of space, decent on gas, good crash ratings, reliabilty, awd for winter… can get one of these for under 25k

our smith rep stopped by friday to show us new product (and give me a free pair of shades holler). he was riding in a black on black leather murano with dark tint, looked so hot. he said he hadn’t reset the mpg on the obc since he bought it. with mostly city driving, and some highway, it reads 22avg mpg.

Thirteen posts and nobody has asked where the poll is? :massmoon:

RAV4 is actually a very practical choice. Stay with unitbody SUVs and crossovers if she’s hellbent on sitting up high and trucklets, but push for those wagons.

Rav-4 is a great little SUV. Very peppy V6 and Toyota reliability. The Nissan is also a great truck and probably has a little more cargo room.

reason I like the nissan is it seems more “rugged” and thats definitely gonna be a plus when it comes time to hauling topsoil, plants, and sod and whatever else around and then cleaning up after it. seems to have a very proven drivetrain as well. then again, i did just see a newer xterra ON FIRE on Niagara falls blvd earlier today :bloat:

a 5 speed always helps with gas mileage, just cause your mom is a woman (i hope) doesnt mean she cant learn how to drive stick, every extra mpg counts, especially with the prices now and its proabbaly a good 5mpg between the diff trannys

I don’t care how it’s classed, the Forester is a wagon. Well, it drove like a truck with none of the space. My mother in law had one for the last 4 years. It sucked.

My Xterra’s been great. Moves really well for weighing 4500 pounds. You can only get them with a 260hp/285ft-lb VQ40 now. The stick shifts nicely for a truck. Which makes sense. The engine’s a stroked 350Z motor and the tranny is based off the same.

Gas mileage, well, it’s an SUV. Real world I see 15-18 in the winter no matter how I drive. As high as 21 or so on the highway in the summer. Not really any higher.

No problems with mine, although it’s got a whopping 9k now.

Overall, mine’s great. I’m very happy with my decision. It’s useful as hell. The entire back half of the truck is rubber, not carpet. Very very very nice to live with although you might not look twice at something like that when shopping. Gas mileage isn’t that great, but overall it’s a great useful fun to drive (for an SUV) SUV.

The Xterra’s a 6 speed, and it doesn’t really make a difference. Maybe 1-2mpg at most. It’s just more fun to drive. That’s why I got it anyways.

ok, my mom is REALLY good at driving stick. she used to drive my porsche (after teaching ME how to drive it) and my gto just cuz they were stick. so her “learning” isnt an issue

really?

when cobalts come into my shop and i reset the oil light the manuals are avg a good 5-6 more than the autos, round 29-30 vs. 23-24

and i know the people well because obviously theyre in there every month or so and its just city driving by lil old grannys