School me on older WRXs and impreza outbacks

I get 23-24 mpg routinely. Standard Stage 2 setup will yield mid 13s. FMIC + STI turbo (and supporting mods) will get you into the 12s probably.

word Im assuming the 23-24 is the avg? hows the highway miles? and roughly how much am I looking at spending with the STI turbo and stage II setup? 2-3k?

do yourself a favor and pony up for 06+, more dispracement is more gooder…

seriously.

edit: or get an 04-05 sti… they are pretty cheap now a days.

Highway, if you do under 75mph with the cruise on, I have gotten closer to 30. Stay out of boost and you’ll be doing ok.

Stage 2 is just uppipe, downpipe, exhaust, intercooler hoses, remove some junk, and a flash. Depending on how cheap you want it be, it can be done for less than $600.

Used STI turbo, in good shape, will fetch $300ish. Then you need some other junk, fuel pump, injectors, yadda yadda yadda. See nasioc.com for more info.

And +11billion on the 06+ being way better.

I agree.

Especially if your friend is going for a more professional image. Not that the Subarus are ridic unprofessional, but the Saab’s have a more “grown up” skin.

I like mine.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/libtch151/WGSaab.jpg

dooooit

edit- er, tell your friend to dooooit

If you can swing it. I bought a 08wrx 5 door. I love it. has good power down low. I am averaging about 22 city. My only gripe is the paint does not stay on the car.

I dont want to cheap out on parts, does that include cats?

I am looking at the 04-05. whatever I buy needs to cost at least 5k less than what I sell the Camaro for (15.5k or so), if I sell it. I don’t want to have a car payment since I am going back to school. Realistically Ide like to spend around 8k but I could go as high as 10 or 12, the more money I have left over the better really.

I really wish Saab made a sedan version.

not gonna happen

• Cats sold separately

the 2.5rs’s, autos, and wagons seem to be that cheap, the ones im looking at are more towards 11k.

just buy one pre-modded… otherwise no way you’re going to get a 12 second WRX for near 10k

if you want one un-modded and want it to be remotely decent you’ve got to go 06+

that 2.0 liter (in the us market) is just such a puss platform

what is different motor/drivetrain wise between the 04/05 and 06/07? is it the same 2.5L motor just turboed?

another annoying thing about these cars that I forgot…

the window seals and the mirrors make a ton of annoying noises on the highway.

They just upped the displacement from 2.0 to 2.5L

is it the same 2.5 that is in the N/A RS models is what I am curious about, I should have been more specific.

RS = EJ251 or EJ253
WRX = EJ255
STI = EJ257

Moral of the story, no.

k thanks for being so helpful, Idk shit about these cars, Ill have to spend some time on NASIOC.