Help me decide (v.WRX Wagon)

As much as I want an STi, some people hit the nail on the head and I can’t really afford it right now. So I have pretty much decided on a WRX Wagon. Now the question is:
High mileage 04 or average mileage 02? I like the looks of the 04+ wagon better than the bugeye, so I would rather have that. However, I don’t know about any other differences between the two models, so if there is something I should know, now is the time to pipe up! I had an STi block swap in mind down the road (a year or two?), so the higher mileage doesn’t bother me too much.

I aksed justin from HC a few questions about some wrx’s, here was his respond, maybe this will help you with performance mods and picking what year u want

Originally Posted by dreid
hey, i was wondering what kind of mods were done to that white wrx?? i am considering a wrx soon. I would love a sti but dunno about the extra 10K. also wondering what kind of mods would u consider if I was looking to make a 300 hp wrx as my DD. I am guessing that I could take a stock wrx from 220hp to 300 for far less than 10K. Lmk what you think and thanks in advance

Hey man,

Gary forwarded this PM to me and I hope I can answer all of your questions.

That white WRX had a FP Green turbo (good for 400-450hp), 3" Inlet, Bigger Injectors, Walbro Fuel Pump, and poor fitting intercooler hoses.

First off, it depends on what year WRX you are considering for your power goals. It can be done with either the 02-05, or the new 06. The difference is that the 06 now has the 2.5 liter engine, compared to the 2.0 of the 02-05s.

If you were looking for around 300hp, there are different routes to take. With the 06, you can do a turboback exhaust and Cobb Accessport (ECU Reflash). That nets you around 285hp and 340tq. You can always upgrade from there, but that is a good way to start, and costs only around $1500.

For the earlier model WRX, to get around 300whp you are looking at a turbo upgrade. For a list of what I’d put on my car if I had it again.

FP Subaru Evo III 16g (good for 330whp)
Turbo Inlet Pipe
Turboback (Our own)
Uppipe
Bigger Injectors
Walbro 255lph
FMIC (Bigger topmounts are about as much as a Front Mount Kit)
TurboXS UTEC or Cobb Protune
Boost & EGT Gauges
and probably a Clutch (ACT).

The STi although being more expensive, comes with alot more to offer. Brembo brakes, 6 speed tranny, active differentials, etc. Trying to make a WRX into a STI with the 02-05s costs WAY more than the approximate $10k difference.

Also, you will want to consider upgraded brakes for the 02-05 as they aren’t the greatest (new pads and lines are the cure), and 300-350whp is around where the WRX tranny breaks depending on how you drive it.

I hope this helped answer some of your questions, if you have any more don’t hesitate to ask.

Justin
Hybrid Connection

Don’t even think about an STi Block swap… complete waste of money. Save your money and wait till you can afford an STi. The STi is sweet because of the front and center differentials, along with the transmission, and the expense to swap a WRX over to these is just not worth it.

I ended up putting way more money into my wrx than it would have cost me to get an sti, and I was ALWAYS held back by not having the diffs.

Other than styling, there is no major differences between the bug-eye and '04 wagons except for the seats, gauge cluster, and available premium package (heated seats, heated mirrors, heated windshield, and sunroof). In '05, while it looks the same as the '04’s on the outside, they came with a different center console and dash.

The drivetrain doesn’t change between the years. Between '02 and '03 they added a lighted ring around the ignition, and some sort of device that doesn’t let you drop the clutch from high RPM’s.

Lastly is colors. As for the wagons, World Rally Blue and Aspen White is available all years. Midnight Black comes on the '02-3’s, Java Black on the '04, and Obsidion Black for '05’s. Sedona Red (like maroon) for the '02-'03’s, Sonic Yellow (only 1500 were made), and San Remo Red for '04’s and '05’s. Also, you got painted side skirts from the factory in '05.

Held back by what? Sure it’s fun to play with the DCCD, but it’s not like the WRX has trouble putting the power down. With a bigger rear sway bar a WRX will rotate just fine.

looking at n’ctrl car in his sig makes me wanna get a bugeye and clone his. Your shit is tight man

get the saab 9-2x they are the same price, and have leather, heated seats, and all sorts of other creature comforts the normal subaru didnt come with.

:word:

I thought about that Saab, but they are not the same price.

Some suspect that there were some revisions to the 04 WRX tranny to make it stronger than the 02’s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Impreza_WRX#Rev.B.282002.29_2

Starting in 2003 The trannies were fitted with STi-RA width gears.

That Wiki article is all messed up. Some facts are JDM spec (they’re a MY behind us, ie; in 2001 the Bug Eye came out in Japan, 2003 was the Peanut Eye. Add a year for USDM cars) while other facts are USDM correct.

As for '04’s getting RA width gears, that’s a pipe dream that never happened. I know more than a few people who had no trouble blowing threw their '04 trannies not to mention techs at dealerships. There was a rumor that a select few early '02’s came with actual RA gear box’s, but it has never been proven.

Thanks dude. :tup:

Honestly high-mileage or not, as long as it was maintained it should be just fine. Just get the one you like more. I’m pushing 90k on mine with moderate abuse day-in day-out on the original clutch. And besides normal maintenance/wear items, I haven’t needed to do a thing to the car. It’s a rock solid platform if you take care of it.

Plus if it’s in good shape with high mileage at least you know it was treated exceptionally well. Get the one you think you would like to see in your driveway for 4/5 years or more.

They might have some minor differences but for the most part it’s more of a cosmetic update, and it’s up to preferences at that point. As for me I’m quite fond of the odd bugeye look. And likewise I want something that I know I can own for 5 years and not feel bad about getting later on. Though I hope to keep it until the wheels fall off.

N’CTRLs car is sex, though I don’t think I can pull off that look in red or in wagon form. :frowning:

really? i have seen them (turbo models) going for mid to high teens. thats about what a decent wrx goes for. are you looking out of state, or just local?

I personally think the Saabaru is nicer looking than the WRX. Plus I feel like a Saab would be less likely to be abused since it sorta goes for a more mature market?

When GM was doing their friends and family discount thing for everyone people were walking away with them new for like 17k. They are nice cars indeed and from what im told some of the parts are from the STI as far as control arms bushings and such. I don’t know exactly though.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=216116943&dealer_id=59370097&car_year=2005&model=9-2X&num_records=25&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=100&make=SAAB&color=&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=14468&advanced=&end_year=2007&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=61

UghhhhhhhH!!!

Same price?? Better check again.

Get a low mileage car no matter what body style. The prices between the 02 and the 04 arent’ that far from each other.

I want to have an all wagon/avant meet one of these days…

Nice bugeye here

That looks likes a cool place to have an auto-x

If you are planning on doing a STi swap then why not start with an RS wagon?

The initial vehicle cost would be cheaper.