Scripting

For Network Admin + Sys Admin. What is the best place to start? Is one language easier to learn? I’m starting from scratch. Watching the PowerShell videos currently.

Really depends on what you’re looking to do. Powershell is great for Windows. BTW I spotted you about 3-4 weeks ago jamming down Englewood.

Perl/Python is good for scripting and admin stuff for networks

Powershell if you want to learn more on the systems side

Each language is good for its own reasons.

Perl :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Network + Sys admin in Buffalo probably means mostly Windows administration in which case Powershell and VBS

If you’re looking into more of a Linux side of things shell scripting in bash

Python rocks but if most of your work is Windows admin stuff not incredibly useful

Ya I feel any sys admin I know stares at powershell all day.

You must hate this guy suggesting perl

I like perl! But working with perl modules and CPAN will make you want to blow your brains out.

I’m mostly a linux guy and stick to BASH and perl. Python is definitely something I want to learn but I just haven’t had a direct need for a while. I would concur with the above in recommending that you learn it though.

I’m not much of a Windows guy, so I can’t help ya on that side of the world.

I use multiple languages on a daily basis, but if you know VB you can relate to most languages. The pizza boxes I work on are mostly windows though.

.vbs
.bat
.ps1

Scripting languages. Yes

I would leave C/C++ out of debate relating to scripting and easy

I initially thought they were saying if you knew VB.NET you could learn other languages and was like WTF?! but for scripting, yea. VB is a good start.

A more detailed job description by the OP would probably help in determining a path :wink:

Ya that is true. IT is a huge field so when you aim down a path of what you want to do in IT, then you really can pick your skills to help you along.