Seatbelt Won't Retract

I think a friend of mine in the passenger seat pulled the seatbelt out all the way. It does not retract now, it is fully out, and when you pull it, it sounds like a metallic clank, and it can’t be pulled out further, and when you release it, it does not retract. I’m thinking the spring for the retracting system is gone…any idea what it could be? How easy is this to fix yourself?

Also, if I take it to the dealership, will they fix it for free?

btw, its a 1993 hatch with manual seatbelts.

Thanks for your help.

just grab the mecinisim from the junk yard or the whole belt

go to a dealer… seatbelts are warrantied for life.

Ya, this is a little knows problem and Koz is band on.

They will just order you a new one.

Thanks guys, I’ll do so on Monday because they’re closed on Sunday. Hopefully all goes well and I don’t have to pay ridiculous dealer labour fees for getting the seatbelts installed.

should be free… its a warranty item (MTO saftey regulation with manufactoring codes or something like that…)
maybe 1hr labour at most if they can charge you for it… so $70

I took it to the Nissan dealership at McCowan and Sheppard. Yeah, it turned out to be completely free, thanks very much guys, you just saved me from a headache, especially during exam week. The part’s gonna arrive tomorrow, only 1 day of waiting, not bad :P.

Funny thing though, is that I met a random 240 fanatic that works there lmao. He has the exact same car I do, except for the colour, and he’s got an SR instead of a stock KA. It’s even the same year. Meeting random 240 people is awesome. By the way, he said he was on SON, by the name of “bibby” or something close to that.