So how do these newfangled timings work?

I’m still in the generation where you set your FSB and:

Proc speed = FSB x multiplier
DDR Memory Speed = FSB x 2

So my Athlon XP supports a 133mhz FSB, so I bought a motherboard with a 133 mhz FSB, DDR266 and my 2.0 ghz clock used a multiplier of 15. Now you could run your shit asynchroniously and have faster memory than your FSB but you usually didn’t gain any performance that way.

But now there’s this newfangled hypertransport speeds that aren’t multiples of anything I recognize and blah blah blah.

So here’s where I’m hoping you explain to me how this stuff works without telling me that I spec’d my shit wrong.
I ordered a mobo with a 2600mhz FSB that supports DDR2 1066.
I ordered DDR2 800 memory.
I ordered an AMD cpu that advertises 2000mhz hypertransport.

So what’s the deal?

133?

not 1333?

and this is a NEW setup?

Nope.

The old setup:
133mhz FSB
266mhz ddr
2000mhz CPU

New setup:
2600mhz FSB Mobo, supports DDR2 1066
800 MHZ DDR2 RAM
3000 mhz CPU, supports 2000 mhz hypertransport
…I hope. :ohnoes:

Haha… I have an almost identical question regarding the computer I just bought.

Waiting to hear some answers…

Read up on xtremesystems.org forums. Any other place is just filled with idiots who dont know shit.

There is a fair amount of skill involved in getting extreme overclocks on newer systems, but a 20-40% overclock is a few seconds, and practically dosent require extensive stability testing.

OK I decided to read up myself. Here’s what I think I’ve found, at least regarding AMD chipsets:

The Front Side Bus that I’m used to exists no more. It has been replaced with two external buses, a memory bus and a hypertransport bus. The memory bus links RAM to CPU, the hypertransport bus links CPU to the rest of the peripherals.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

But all Athlon 64’s run off of a base clock of 200mhz. So you have a CPU multiplier and a memory divider. My CPU multiplier will be 3000/200=15. My DDR2 800 will give me an 800/2 = 400mhz memory bus, which gives me a memory divider of 3000/400=7.5. But! The memory divider rounds to the next highest integer value, which is 8, so my memory bus will only actually be running at 3000/8 = 375mhz or a double data rate of 750 mhz. :-\

So I may try to overclock to get the most from my memory. What if I use a CPU multiplier of 16?

200x16=3200mhz
3200/8=400
400 is my advertised ram speed, so if I can overclock my proc by 200mhz then I should be able to get the most out of my memory. That is assuming that my mobo offers a multiplier of 16.

I could also try increasing my processor base clock from 200 to, say, 210.
210x15=3150
3150/8=394 or ddr2 = 788mhz Getting closer.

So I can play with my multipliers, dividers, and base clock to find the fastest stable combination I can. I’m guessing the mobo will automatically set me up for 3ghz proc, 375mhz memory bus, and 750mhz memory.

If I had wanted to spend more money (and had figured this out before today) and wanted the fastest stuff that’s basically sure to be stable I could have bought DDR2 1066, which is the fastest memory my motherboard supports, and used a memory divider of 3000/533=5.6 => 6. That would have given me a 3000mhz processor and 3000/6=500*2= 1000 mhz memory.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So now the hypertransport bus. It’s also based off of the CPU clock. Keep this in mind when fiddling with your base clock when trying to OC.

My hypertransport bus will be limited by the processor to 2000mhz even though the board can handle up to 2600mhz. So it has a hypertransport multiplier of 200x10 = 2000mhz.

So I can only transfer 8 GB/S instead of 10.4 GB/S. (Transfer rate = number of bits, AMD uses 16 bit links x clock x number of data per clock cycle / 8 bits per byte, so 16 * 2000 * 2 / 8 = 8000)

My peripherals base their transport speed off of the hypertransport clock and have their own dividers. PCIx runs at 100mhz so 2000/20=100, sata ports share this clock apparently. Some motherboards let you adjust these dividers, some don’t.

So if I fiddle with the base clock to overclock, EVERYTHING has to be able to run faster. One change affects everything in the system.

In other words, when I put my rig together tonight I will just accept the 750mhz DDR2 speed which will keep everything else running at OEM speeds. Once I’m convinced that everything is nice and stable then I may try fiddling with OC settings.

Oh, and might I add:

:thankyou:

tl;dr.

ifl

Interesting to see this thing come together.
I am going a different route, namely buying this

Studio - 540
(System Identifier: E6TW1Z2F)

Studio 540 Mini-Tower: Intel Core 2 Quad processor Q8200 (4MB L2, 2.33GHz, 1333FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium

Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium

Memory
8 GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz (4 DIMMs)

Hard Disk Drive
640 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
640 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)

Video
256MB ATI Radeon HD 3450 supporting HDMI

Modem
56Kbps Data/Fax Modem

Hardware Upgrade
USB Optical two button mouse
USB Multimedia Keyboard

Base
Studio 540 Mini-Tower: Intel Core 2 Quad processor Q8200 (4MB L2, 2.33GHz, 1333FSB)

Media Bay
16X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability

Software Upgrade
64BIT Operating System DVD
Microsoft Works 9.0
64BIT Operating System CD

For $449 from Dell and then upgrading the video card to a 9800 GTX for $130.

JOE - is that a new sale item?

gotta love dell for the simple fact that you can get an entire box w/egit OS for the price of the processor alone.

Just be advised that they have been known to use SUPER shitty mobos, as far as throughput. IIRC bro’s Dell (new last spring) had a board fsb of like 400 or something.

its a refurb from the dell outlet. I know about the mobo tendencies, but i figure as long as it can handle the upgraded graphics problem i’ll deal with a shitty mobo in terms of performance, hopefully everything else will cancel it out. Most of the other things they usually cheap out on (5400rpm HD’s, high ram latency) looked OK in this.

FSB? What is that? lol

I thought it stood for frisbee. :gotme:

¿que?

all this shit means nothing to me, I fail at the 21st century