So my laptop took a crap....

Been out of the laptop scene in a while. Had my Late 2010 MacBook Air with the 128GB SSD hard drive and was great. A dropped cell phone into the screen took the thing into an early grave so need to come up with options for people who bought a laptop recently.

Looking at the MacBook Pro with the 8GB RAM/256GB solid state and retina. Anyone own one? It only has the i5 and 8GB of RAM but my MB Air has 2.86 Core2Duo processor and 4GB of RAM and ran great so not sure if it is worth the over spec money.

I do have a need for a *NIX based system for side work and projects that are a pain in the Windows environment so have moved away from the Windows 8 platform unless someone has some recommendations. The touch screen and tablet conversions are cool for sure but not sure how durable and useful people have found them for more advanced stuff than updating Facebook

I doubt you’re going to have too many issues with the i5 vs 17. It’s too bad you can’t go quad-core. I’d rather have cores to assign to VMs than anything.

I’d get it with more RAM since you can’t add on after the fact.

All that being said, my work machine is a 13" MBP with the 2.9Ghz i7, 8GB RAM and 756 HDD and it runs great. I run VMs without skipping a beat.

I don’t understand… Why can’t you just replace the screen?

New MBP is $1300. Sell MacBook for $300+ on eBay or have apple replace it for $400+
It is a little dated so ~$1000 for a new laptop wouldn’t be the worst as I was shopping around in general unless someone can replace it for $200 or less

Does it have apple care still?

Try Mac Solutions+ in the Eastern Hills Mall?

I never got Apple Care on it. Went 3 years before my iPhone decided to kill it.

Looking at the MBPs, I figure with 256GB of flash storage, the high RAM is kind of useless since I have no need for the upgrade. I do everything fine on my 4 GB AIR with a SSD so I feel this may be a little unneeded.

I can replace the screen, and you could get one off eBay, for cheap, macs hold value after time, so you would be giving someone a steal on it. Lmk if your Intrested

I have a Macbook Pro 15inch 16Gb ram 512 ssd intel i7 2.6

its a beast

Oh wow… Gotcha.

Prog might be able to chime in on your needs. I believe he runs a few powerful MAC’s and deals with VMWARE over at the college.

Edit: Didn’t see all the updates from when I wanted to reply earlier! Should F5 before posting lol. Looks like you got some input.

Sounds like my Mac mini, minus the SSD

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I usually run 3-4 VMs at a time on Mac

It really depends on the performance you need the newest gen Airs are nice I had one at my last job and I got my wife one.

Mine runs Mac Server and Apple Remote Desktop, as well as the websites needed for profile management. I have two drives on there, which I’m going to use as a backup. I need to get everything working the way I want first though, which includes a certificate. Also functions as a small file server.

I am gonna try to get $350 on eBay with a $300 reserve. There is a lot of fanboys that love to scoop them up and fix them so I am sure it will sell.

This gen MBP is getting awesome reviews as an Air replacement for something with a bit more horepower and much cheaper so pretty sold on it. My VM environment is ususally *NIX box and a web server running to test some apps on or a distro that is purpose built for a project. Being able to dualboot NIX and Windows as well is perfect.

Just start at $300 and don’t do a reserve. We just had a charity auction of old iMacs that were about 5-6 years old. People bid $380s for them.

Alright then.

I like my Macbook Air for light duty work. Some of the guys I work with have and like the System76 laptops.