Some people played too much flight simulator

:picard:

Did they forget that water is as hard as concrete? A nose dive into the water would burst this thing into a million pieces.

You never thought that maybe, just maybe, their plan was to land on the water then submerge?

:picard:

The video is pretty retarded, but no where in the DARPA proposal that I skimmed does it say it has to be able to dive underwater directly from flight.

USING LOGIC ISN’T FAIR!

lol, this was my first thought.

Did you watch the first part of the video when it nose dives into the water? :lol:

That was the clip I was refering to. The rest of it tho seems too drawn out and kinda pointless.

its totaly possible to build a submersible plane. just not one that nose dives into water like that. Youd absolutely obliterate the air frame, at best back torque the shit out of the turbines or even launch them out the back of the plane lol. Judging from the size of the pic the thing is about the size of a small house. Cool little lifting body design though. although whats up with that fan looking thing in the middle? Why not just build something resembling the tomahawk? Or even a flying saucer. Dum dum dum duummm.

the tip of the plane breaks the surface tension and “slides” the rest into the water… probably possible… but not at those speeds I’d say.

tip and slides… well played. + karma

Hm dont know about that one. Te force of something that large smacking into the water at anything over 20 mph will absolutely destroy the vehicle. unless its a solid chunk of something really hard and dense. Scale model time!!! someone build a scale model and lets crash it. Or bette ryet. Resident NY speed egg heads, crunch some numbers and lets see what you got.

Oh btw. From the looks of the model id guess that its approximately 80ft across, and about 10-15 feet high at the center, at its highest point, gear retracted. Also you have to take into consideration the force wich the cockpit glass has to withstand. Probably not a hard problem to get around but a problem none the less. Than there is the issue of the turbines being damaged. unless they also double up as some weird type of alternately powered water jets. Maybe they cary some sort of fuel oxidyzer to suplement the lack of oxygen. Than there is the matter of keeping the craft it’s sellf usefull, thus giving it a purpose. Be it carying payload or people. Its one hell of a long shit IMO, but not impossible.

But i highly doubt that that thing is going underwater unless it lands on it first and than submerging.