Spacers it is !! (1 set 20mm ready) anyone ?

So Doba. do they come with studs for 180 or no. As long as these spacers wouldn’t put me in danger everytime I drive, I’d be interested. :lol:

im hoping on 150 no tax no bs, hub centric and no that doesnt include studs that you guys can manage on your own its soo easy.

I’m saying you need BOTH. The wheel needs to centered to the spacer via lip, and the spacer needs to be centered to the hub via inner bore. This applies when the spacer extends beyond the hub, thus not enabling your wheel to be centered off the hub.

You are not able to center the spacer or the wheel with the studs, as the clearance is far too large causing much play.[/quote]

Ok, I see. But isn’t that what the countersink in the rim where the nuts go is for…somewhat?[/quote]

The countersink and tapered lug nuts do a poor job of aligning the wheel.

Next time you have your wheel off, take notice to how much play exists between your wheel and studs. Then notice when you torque the lug nuts, the alignment of the wheel does not shift enough to fully compensate. This is assuming your wheel is not already hub centric.

I’ve received requests for my dimensions, so here they are, as I drew them in Inventor.

Disclaimer: as Sasha mentioned, the lip dimension is specific for wheels of a 73mm bore. The center bore is accurate for our 66mm hubs (additional 0.2mm for clearance). You will need to measure the bore of your wheels, and machine the lip to match. Or, you could go with Sasha’s idea, by tapering the bore down via chamfer in order to run a 66mm lip.

EDIT: The inner bore should read 66.2mm, not 67mm. Also, you should incorporate a small radius between the lip and the mounting face in order to strengthen against shear when mounting the wheel.

http://img75.exs.cx/img75/9414/spacerdim3gk.jpg

http://img75.exs.cx/img75/4936/spacefront9mn.jpg

Titan thats perfect thank you man !!!

now lets get to it im hoping to have at least 1 done today and post pics for you guys :slight_smile:

Excellent dude!
I’ll be in for a set of 15mm spacers all around when you get the ball rolling. Good show guys, about time someone made these locally.

Andrew.

If the diameter stays at 66.2, then any wheel that already fit on the hub as is, must fit on these spacers, correct?

Correct. If the lip diameter remains at 66mm, then you have the same dimensions as the original hub.

ok here is a pic of one of the spacer i made …

(i didnt take the time to finish the outside dia. thats why it looks rough)

anyways.

on this sample i went a little oversize on the inner hole so its not quite a tight fit over the hub.
but the outer dia. of the flange is pretty much to size and will not fit into the whole in my rim seen in this pic…

so obviously the flange’s outer dia. must be smaller than 73 unless all rims are different.

ok besides this ive got a few more questions !!

I placed on my rim without the spacer im using and my hub does not have a tight fit into the rim therefore its NOT hub-centric, so why does the spacer have to be ?
Once you tighten it all up with the bolts it centers itself and locks into place so doesnt matter if its centered by the hub or the studs its not going to shake… at least thats the way i see things.

… its not that easy of a task making these spacers into exact size, and in order for this to be true hub centric the tollerance has to be minute. Id love to see how a real hub centric spacer actually fits onto a car.

sorry for the large pics, normally photobucket shrinks them to size, not this time.

It’s not hubcentric because clearly your wheel was not specifically designed for the 240sx hub and you are not using rings. That’s why they make “collars” or “sleeves” or hubcentric rings or whatever you wanna call them that you put inside the wheel centerbore. These make the wheels hubcentric.

different rims have different sized holes to fit over the “hub centric lip” so you can usually add a rubber sleeve so that it sits tight.

yeah great so unless i make the lip to everyones spec they still will not be centric… to the rim anyways…

so whats a good general outside Dia. for the lip since 73mm is too big ?

i guess ill play around with it untill its snug.

ill update later

just make them fit the stock wheels… anyone with aftermarket rims can use hubcentric rings.

sounds good does anyone know the inner hub of a stock rim ? if not ill measure it tonight.

Stock is 66.2mm Sasha and Titan already said that earlier on. I’m very very interested in these spacers http://www.msnemotions.org/emoticons/love/drool.gif

All wheel bores ARE different. I made it clear in my disclaimer that I machined the lip to match MY specific wheels. In order for the lip to match your wheel bore, you must first measure it with an appropriate tool (such as a vernier caliper or bore gauge) and machine the lip accordingly.

The fact that your wheel is non hub-centric is NOT good. This allows for significant play when mounting and fastening the wheel. This may lead to the wheel being off center, and consequently causing vibration. Although you may not have noticed any effect; in many other cases it can be quite noticeable, especially at very high speeds. This is why stock wheels ARE hub centric.

Wrong. Once again, the holes in your wheel are CLEARANCE holes, and are by no means meant to center the wheel. This is why stock Nissan wheels ARE hub-centric. Just because the misalignment isn’t visible, doesn’t mean it does not exist and cannot cause a problem. Even a 1/16" offset can cause vibrations at high speeds.

Sure it is. With a half decent lathe, you should be able to nail the dimensions within .003" (0.076mm).

The tolerance you are looking at between the ID and OD is 0.008" (0.2mm). Easily attainable. Any proper spacer is supposed to fit very snuggly.

Stock is 66mm. The 0.2mm on the inner bore of the spacer is purely for clearance.

OK sounds good Titan thanks for the info, what i’ll do is make a few sets right on the money even if i have to take some time to be percise lol and ill leave a little extra on the outer Dia on the lip, and later i can easily take the material off needed for the specific order (since everyones wheels are different).
what size should i make first? 15mm 20mm hmm

Just wondering if this is how youd make a hub centric spacer using a stock rim…

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/kingdoba/Random/spacer.jpg

what we have is the inner bore 66mm stopping short so that there is material left over on the outside to make a 66mm lip.

I guess this would work… any thoughts ??

BTW the spacers are turning out perfectly…just trying to figure this one thing out for a customer with a stock rim.

cough25mm!!cough :wink:

Ive got 1 set of 20mm hub centric spacers ready for someone with an aftermarket rim… if anyone is interested PM me.