Staggered Tire Sizes

Well I’ve got a pair of 205/50/R15s and a pair of 205/60/R15s and I was wondering what the pros/cons are to running the 50s up front and the 60s in the back.

[This is not some look or anything that i’m trying to go for, I just don’t have any other tires and I have zero tread on the ones I have on now, and i’m oh so poor so I can’t get another pair of 60s.]

It wont really make any difference as they’re both 205s and the 60s are running the speedo… the front sidewalls should be stiffer, but that depends on the tire anyways.

if they are summer tires you could always sell them to me :slight_smile:

lol i’m running on 205/70/15 at the back(van tire size) and 195/60/15 at the front. the only difference i felt was my tires actually gripping to ground

sorry dude, they are indeed winter tires.

Nothing at all, I have 185s on the front and 195s on the rear of mine.

i ran 6% oversize on my 15s because they were all I could find on my S13 (they were from an older acura TL to be exact) and honestly man the only thing is it makes your car look kinda jacked up and gay, and you’ll notice the acceleration is lagging a bit.

Speedo will obviously be off 6% as well.

Try to find some matched tires if you can :slight_smile:

should be alright

ive got 205/40/17 on the front and 235/40/17 on the rear and it feels fine…

did u get an alignment yet?

I’ve heard that too much of a stagger in tread width between the front and rears induces understeer.

Can anyone confirm/deny?

If you have a lot more grip in the back than the front, then yes… it will be more prone to understeer in a case where you would normally use oversteer to follow a line.

u guys are all over the place. the original post was refering to tire profile, 60 or 50. other guys are jumping in with tire width 195, 205, ect.

if u run a wider tire than what your rims is meant for, u can experience some problems. my rims are meant ot have 195’s mounted on them, but i put 205’s and don’t have any problems. now, if i mounted 245’s on those same rims (why anyone would do that beats the hell outta me) then my sidewalls will be under extreme stress, and may give out/ blow the tire.

profiles, on the other hand, have their pros and cons. a higher profile will give u a smoother, quiter, and absorb bumps better. when u push it to the limits, the sidewall will not hold up as well as a smaller/ lower profile, i forgot the term, but i heard my tires screaming on the track (60 profile, crappy pilots). with a lower profile, u can feel the imperfections of the road, and they may be noiseier.

u are better off stickign with the tires that were recomended to mount with the rim. looking at the choices u made, u really shouldn’t be concerned, because u did not go way outta spec. u may have some insight to share if u track your car and really push the tires beyond the limit, but for normal street/ daily driving, u shouldn’t be concered.

so, did u get the alignment yet??