Stain Matching

I have hardwood floors, stairs, trim etc… The stairs were covered with laminate by some asshole who didn’t know sanders existed. I have removed the laminate and am about to sand the treads/risers. I need to match the existing finish of the railings and trim so it does not look like ass. I have a back stairwell that is boarded up and I have cut out a tread so there is material to test on. Also I am adding some new stairs and using red oak… not the original material so I would think I will need two different stains?

Does anyone here do this? I know ieatpaint used to but I don’t think he is in that industry anymore.

Mike

I would just find the smallest container of stain I could find and do a test on an easily re-sandable area of the existing treads/risers. if it doesn’t match, sand off and repeat. For the new material, I’d just stain sample acrap pieces to match. You’re never going to get an exact match on either, but this should get you really close.

This is how I did my old house in cheektovegas before I sold it and what I do when refinishing furnature.

I don’t think you’re going to sand off stain on test areas if it’s not what you want. Stain matching is one of the hardest things we try to do because of all the variables involved.

I can still do it. I just need a sample of the color you want matched and some scrap of the 2 types of wood you’re going to use. Or you can take everything into Schuele Paint and they can do it for you. Just leave it a few hours to give them time to do it.

This is def. not easy…

Edit: Unless ieatpaint is on your side…

I don’t want to waste your time since you don’t get anything out of it. I can drop it to Schuele, how much should I tip the guy helping me get this right?

$5 is good. If you need help don’t hesitate to ask, I don’t mind helping. They’ll be able to take care of it, just don’t wait at the counter like some assholes.