Custom color-matched paint

I’m getting ready to clean up the front end of my FD with a new hood and fresh paint on the bumper, but since it’s been painted before and even if it was factory, the red paint is notorious for fading.

So…is there any place (turbo ls1?) that can do a custom match. I can bring paint flakes or even a whole damn fender to use as a reference.

Location doesn’t much matter…Rochester, Buffalo, Jamestown. As long as it’s a top-notch job.

I got some paint mixed at Urban Paint in North Tonawanda and it was dead on.

What did they mix it off of?

Napa on Whirle

you just need to have the color shot with the camera. then you’ll get a good match.

Paint the whole car.

Al-Will on transit by the 400

I brought the hole car… but they are good at mixing it… I still have a few cans from them one for each of my cars to do touch ups… there in North tonawanda

if you have the factory paint code carquest in blasdell will mix it in whatever you want b/c single ect, paint what you have to then buff out the whole car and it should match good, i did this with my maro last summer

Ya, that’s what I’m looking for. I wasn’t sure how common it was to have a camera like that.

You coming down to help do the work? :smiley:

Read the goddamn post. Idiot. Alternately, go play in traffic and entertain me.

now now

he did paint his maro himiself. lol

Dude, when you get back here, right done the street on brighton-Henn. TL there a auto paint supply place, and there auto finisher’s on 104

This is called a prophet reading in the ppg world. Other paint companies have different names, I can’t think of dupont’s off the top of my head. I’ve used it several times and all it is really good for is to get you in the ball park and blend the color out. Sometimes they’re really close and sometime they’re out to lunch. If you do three different readings on the same car, you get three different formulas out of the machine, it’s really a crap shoot. So I guess what I’m getting at is, don’t expect it to be perfect, because it won’t be. Nothing can replace the eye and tinting to match. Even then, red is tough to match. Most of the time it goes on orange and the longer it dryes, the darker and bluer it gets.

Either urban paint in buffalo or rochester lead in rochester can do it, and have done it for me.

On a side note, have you tried buffing the car? Wherever I match a color I buff a spot to match it. It would be pretty damn hard to match a faded color and expect it to be dead nuts.

our suppliers can match it for you. our guy comes in a couple times a week. PPG. he can guarantee it too, meaning if it doesn’t match, they will replace it on their dime.

I will buff the car eventually. Sounds like I might have a better time painting the whole thing.

Basically, the front end is trashed and needs new paint. The hood and bumper came from a different car and are different colors and one fender needs to be painted, so I’m planning on at least doing both fenders, hood, headlight buckets and the front bumper.

But, from what it sounds like, even though the paint would be on different panels, it might still not look right?

Word, I was going to send you a PM about this, but then just posted up. What would I need to bring?

Blend the doors, and you’d be good.

from what you’re describing, most likely, this is correct. it can get close where others may not notice, but you the owner, knowing it was there, would probably piss you off everytime you looked at it. just depends how beat it is. blending would help though

Well, I guess I have some thinking to do. I’ve only ever painted full cars before, so I haven’t had to screw around matching and blending.

bring the paint code (if it is a factory color), and the best representation of what you want from the car. i’ll have to find out when the guy’s going to be in. problem is, he pops in randomly the day he comes… so best bet is to drop off whatever you’d be matching too