Suggest me a router.

Hey guys, Im currently working with a belkin G router, needless to say it sucks balls, anything will kick it off, DL speed is embarrassing, its the worst, so I need a replacement, but I have little Idea whats any good an whats not. Im sure someone can share some insight on this, if so that’d be great. thanks

-Ian

Linksys Wireless-G router. Great for 99% of users.

Are you doing a good bit of downloading at somewhat decent distances away from the router? Or is it all within a room or two of the thing?

The best all around router if you want to get some good speeds over distances is the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 running DD-WRT firmware. And people usually complain about having a reduced signal once you start to get away from the router.

But if youre always close to the thing, you can just run a Linkysys WRT-54G and DD-WRT… Theyre cheap, and available everywhere.

I use a Linksys WRT350N with DD-WRT v24 and I couldn’t ask for a better router - never had any issues and I never have to restart the thing

i’m still running an antique Network Everywhere box… i leave it up on edge so it doesn’t burn a hole where it lives.

Thats the thing, all the computers are a good distance a away from it, mine portably being the closet, yet I still have issues. Yes I am doing a great deal of DL’n and uploading, plus I steam all of the TV I watch, so the cheap route really isnt an option.

I dont really want another G there just too underpowered for my application.

you have wireless N? I would be careful with wireless N. It has not been declared an official protocol as of yet.

from wikipedia

“IEEE 802.11n is a proposed amendment to the IEEE 802.11-2007 wireless networking standard…802.11n is expected to be finalized in November 2009”

No I have a G I dont like it, its very under powered for my network, its VERY slow an is constantly being kicked off, what is it about N that I should watch for, I thought they where more powerful ?

G is currently the fastest OFFICIAL protocol for 802.11 wireless networks. Wireless N devices have been popping up for a while. It is faster, but not an official IEEE protocol. It is still on Draft 7 of its proposal. That means they can still making changes to the way it is supposed to work, and any devices built based on a previous proposal might no function properly with devices built in the future.

802.11b might be what you are thinking of, 802.11g is what I would recommend you sticking with. It can transfer data at 52mbps.

It’s not finalized and is in the “draft” stage. Meaning anything you buy i.e. router, NIC, etc. that is draft N or Wireless-N could be useless once they release the actual official N standard. Your under powering and slow speeds has nothing to do with the Wireless G standard at all. Probably due to bad reception, interference, outdated equipment etc.

As boardjnky said The Linksys ones are probably most user friendly and easiest to use. The WRT54G I believe is probably one of the most common routers around.

Ahhh OK WOW theres quite few N based routers being advertised, anyway thing is though what Im working with now is an 802.11g. So IDK if they vary in speeds or what but I know fora fact the belkin 802.11g isnt working for me, sorry Im a noob at this.

yeah, the fact that it is 802.11g is likely not the reason you are having issues. More than likely there are other issues like signal strength affecting you.

I have always used Linksys 802.11g and never had any real issues.

If you are trying to download movies and shit from torrent sites or newsgroups, you are better off getting off of the wireless and using a hardwired connection.

Hmmm thats not good, I mean TW has been out 3 times to diagnose the problem, every time they have hookup there equipment to the modem and gotten in spec signal strength, all 3 techs pointed out the router as the problem, could it be that the router is just old ? We’ve had it for a while now an just lately the problem has occurred.

it could definitely be that something has gone wrong with the router.

Cool thanks for the info, I’ll probably replace it with the Linksys WRT54G 802.11g, I dont need to deal with the unreleased protocol “N” nonsense.

WRT54G is solid…

I use a Belkin N http://www.phonearea.net/wp-content/themes/default/pictures/bluetooth_usb/2007/q3/belkin_n1_vision_2.JPG

And its compatible with your modem and such ?

the modem doesn’t make a difference. The card in your computer must be 802.11n compatible though.

Yea any of these wireless routers will work with whatever modem you currently have.