Super Bowl Crybabies

nice little read :steelers: :steelers: :steelers:

chopped… And finally, can we stuff a very large sani-sock into the mouth of Seattle coach Mike Holmgren, and anyone else who says the refs had it out for the poor, little Seahawks?

The signs are very clever (Refs 21, Seahawks 10 … or, Pittsburgh’s 12th Man: The Refs), but they’re bogus. It’s how sore losers rationalize a final score. Worse yet, it’s crying. And there’s no crying in football, unless you’re Hines Ward.

I know what you’re thinking Cincinnati Bengals, Indianapolis Colts, Denver Broncos and, yes, Seattle Seahawks. You’re thinking about the way the Steelers bumbled about in Ford Field, and you’re saying to yourselves: "Tell me again how we lost to these guys?’’

Think about Sunday’s game:

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger freaked out … The best Pittsburgh pass of the day (and I’m stealing Michael Irvin’s line here) was thrown by wide receiver Antwaan Randle El … The Steelers’ inspirational "hero,’’ Jerome Bettis, rushed for a grand total of 43 yards and couldn’t pound it in when Pittsburgh needed him most … The Steelers had fewer passing yards, less time of possession, fewer total yards, and more turnovers.

And yet, the Steelers won by 11, covering the spread with ease. Conspiracy theories arrived moments later.

The refs stole it.

The NFL "wanted’’ this.

The Seahawks were really the better team.

Look, the game itself was 3 hours and 36 minutes of yawns. I think we can all pretty much agree on that. I loved the story lines, but the game, not so much.

But to simply dismiss the Steelers victory as an act of referee kindness is to take a Bettis-sized leap of faith.

AP Photo
Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones need a new gig.
Sorry, but Seahawks receiver Darrell Jackson pushed off in the end zone. Did it gain him an advantage? Maybe. Maybe not. All that matters is that the official standing nearby – a lot closer than John Madden, you or me – thought so. Instead of a touchdown, Seattle settled for a 3-0 first quarter lead.

Sorry, but Roethlisberger might have broken the plane of the goal line on his second quarter 1-yard TD dive. Or not. That’s what matters, right? Not where he landed, but if the ball broke the plane? The play was reviewed and upheld. What else was anyone supposed to do? And while there are no guarantees, if the ball had been spotted just short of the goal line, the Steelers were 100 percent on fourth-and-goals this season.

Sorry, I truly don’t know whether Sean Locklear held Clark Haggans on that key fourth quarter call. Even if he didn’t, and it was first-and-goal from the Pittsburgh 1, then what? If you can’t guarantee Pittsburgh’s scoring on fourth-and-inches in the second quarter, you can’t guarantee Seattle’s scoring on first-and-goal from the 1. Why? Because funny things happen, like the Bettis fumble against Indy. Or Roethlisberger’s underthrowing a wide-open Cedrick Wilson against Seattle, costing the Steelers a sure touchdown or a likely field goal (the ball was at the Seahawks’ 7). Instead, Kelly Herndon intercepted the crummy pass, returned it 76 yards and Seattle scored three plays later.

No one can deny there were questionable calls during the game. But before Holmgren and Latte Nation start whining about playing "the guys in the striped shirts as well,’’ perhaps a history lesson is in order.

The striped shirts didn’t cause tight end Jerramy Stevens to drop four passes. The striped shirts didn’t cause the Seahawks defense to give up a Steelers first down on a third-and-28 situation (which later led to the Roethlisberger disputed TD). The striped shirts didn’t cause the Seahawks defense to give up the longest touchdown run in Super Bowl history. They also didn’t cause Etric Pruitt to sprint up from his safety position, only to be fooled by the trick play that resulted in Randle El’s 43-yard TD pass to Ward (and by the way, if everyone knows the Steelers like to run gadget plays near midfield, don’t you think the Seahawks knew it too?). Or cause Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck to throw a killer interception with nearly 11 minutes left in the game and Seattle trailing by only four points.

Enough already with the whining. The Seahawks had their chances. Plenty of them to overcome the Steelers and, if they insist, the refs, too.

Holmgren, who didn’t exactly distinguish himself in the waning minutes of both halves, is no doubt suffering some post-Super Bowl anger. Perfectly understandable, especially in front of the thousands who greeted the team upon its return to Seattle. But days, weeks, months from now, when he’s able to think more clearly, he’ll realize the only people to blame for the loss were wearing Seahawks metallic blue, not black and white.

Gene Wojciechowski is the senior national columnist for ESPN.com. You can contact him at gene.wojciechowski@espn3.com.

Go onto Fox Sports and see the idiot Kevin Hench had to say about the one holding call.

Darrell Jackson caught an 18-yard pass on 3rd-and-6 that would have given Seattle a first down at the 23. But Chris Gray was called for holding James Farrior. When Farrior pushed upfield, Gray did hook him with his right arm, and Farrior went down.

Ok Hooking is still holding numbnuts. :rolleyes:

I hate fucking people. Same with the touchdown. People are like he moved the ball up to the line. Yeah no shit, but thats not when the touchdown occured. It occured while airborn and it doesn;t have to cross all the way over the line.

People are so fucking stupid…

The striped shirts didn’t cause tight end Jerramy Stevens to drop four passes. The striped shirts didn’t cause the Seahawks defense to give up a Steelers first down on a third-and-28 situation (which later led to the Roethlisberger disputed TD). The striped shirts didn’t cause the Seahawks defense to give up the longest touchdown run in Super Bowl history. They also didn’t cause Etric Pruitt to sprint up from his safety position, only to be fooled by the trick play that resulted in Randle El’s 43-yard TD pass to Ward (and by the way, if everyone knows the Steelers like to run gadget plays near midfield, don’t you think the Seahawks knew it too?). Or cause Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck to throw a killer interception with nearly 11 minutes left in the game and

good read

well put

I agree…but watch what you say or this thread may be deleted

Holmgren is defintely getting fined for what he said, I can’t wait to see how much though

What did he say… I must have missed that…

good read…all true

that he knew they would have to play against the pittsburgh steelers but he didnt know they were going to have to face the refs as well. (not exact words)

its on espn’s web page

ESPN

Fine him… dumb ass… He was bitchin while walking into the locker rooms for half time…

Another good interview was done on seattle’s site.

http://www.seahawks.com/default.aspx

Click the link for “If Only” Half way through their offensive coordinator Gil Haskel said it best. They didn’t make any big plays like pittsburgh did, and if they were playing good the penalties would have never of happend. If they did happen they have to move on and forget about it implying that they didn’t.

even if they would have got the TD in the first, and ben wouldnt have got the TD, the score would have been 14-17 and they would have still won.

Here’s the skinny on SBXL:

The Refs didn’t give up the longest run in SB history…Seattle’s
defense did.

The Refs didn’t bite on a 43 yd trick play, Randle to Ward for a
TD…Seattle’s defense did.

The Refs didn’t allow Ben to scramble around on a 3rd and 28 and
complete a long pass to the 2 yd. line…Seattle’s defense did.

The Refs didn’t miss two field goals, that was Seattle.

The Refs didn’t fail to step out of bounds late in the 1st half to stop
the clock in Pitt territory in a crunch time situation…Seattle’s
offense did.

The Refs didn’t let the 1st half clock tick down from 48 seconds all the
way down to 13 seconds before finally running their next play at Pitt’s
36 yd line…Seattle’s offense did.

And on this play, 3rd down, 53 yds away from a FG, it wasn’t the Refs
who tried and failed to go deep for a TD rather than a safer 5-7 yd play
and timeout setting up a much easier FG attempt…that, again, would be
Seattle’s offense.

The Refs didn’t get confused by Pitt’s zone defense and throw an
INT…that would be Seattle’s QB.

The Refs didn’t let a little physical contact intimidate them from
catching 4 very catchable passes…that would be the Seattle TE Jeremy
Stevens.

With approx. 20 seconds left in the game, knowing they need a TD and FG,
in no particular order, and in easy FG range on 4th down, it wasn’t the
Refs who ignored the FG and elected to throw up a prayer trying for a
TD…that AGAIN would be Seattle.

And Seattle if you’re still salty and still reaching for excuses…

The Refs didn’t constantly punt deep into the end zone, repeatedly
giving Pitt the ball at the 20 yd line…that of course was Seattle.

It wasn’t the Refs who received a Christmas gift wrapped easy INT lobbed
in perfect position to return deep into Pitt territory…the lucky
beneficiary of that break would be Seattle.

It wasn’t the Refs who got a break when a Steeler DB dropped an easy int
early in the game…that too would be a break for Seattle.

It wasn’t the Refs who caught a break when a Steeler WR dropped a very
catchable TD pass…that break again would go to Seattle.

It wasn’t the scapegoat Refs that received a break when a WR caught the
ball, turned, stepped, was hit hard enough to cause a fumble, and then
ruled INCOMPLETE…that would be of course, another chance for Seattle.
(this was an interesting call considering that after Troy’s famous
overruled Int, the NFL stated that it WAS a catch. If so, than this
definitely WAS a catch)

It wasn’t the Refs who got a break when Pitt QB Big Ben was blocked in
the back as he pursued the DB who he’d tossed an int to…that again
would go to Seattle.

It wasn’t the Refs who stopped Seattle RB Alexander in a few key
situations. That would be the Pittsburgh Steelers.

It wasn’t the Refs who converted many of their 3rd downs yet stopped
their opponent on 3rd down often…that would be the Pittsburgh
Steelers.

And the very bottom line is this…On plays when there wasn’t any
penalties…One team made plays and one team didn’t. The end result was
the final score, 21-10 Seattle was outcoached and outplayed.

Get over it Seattle, lose with a little dignity.

I was just copying that to paste it from an e-mail i got…it is so true/funny

thought I was the only one that saw that shit…