testing alternator while in car

how can i do this?

i called pepboys and they say they have a scan tool that will run through the whole system. but i find it hard to believe that it will target the alternator specifically.

thoughts?

They just connect their tool to the battery and it tells them if its good or not.

its that simple huh?

i havent heard about that, just plug some radar detector into a cig lighter and see what kinda volts it puts out while running/not running

From in the car all the will be able to tell you is volts…

Theyd have to put a battery/altenator tester hooked up to the battery and put a load o nthe altenator to see if its bad or not

just went outside with a multimeter and…

everything off, the new battery reads like 12.37v

car on with lights on and radio blasting, the battery reads 14.18v

i think im good.

thanks for nothing shift.

you did it correctly…

Piece of cake …noob

looks good to me newbcake

That works just fine…

The only thing the pep boys one does is just put a huge load on the altenator to see if it dies under a big load…

what are you concerned about, like, what was your reasoning for thinking the alt is bad?

His portable blow job on the go killed the battery to fast

i dont know how long the alternator has been in there. no idea if its been replaced or not. its lookin ratty.

this and…when i got the car it had an optimum battery in it which ANTLS (fucking homo) said was brand new. so…few days later at work it wouldnt start. so i took the battery out, had it tested and it was dead. got a new battery for the cose of $178. starts great but…my concern was that the other battery died because it was running everything without the alternator and thats y it died so quick. so i wanted to make sure the alternator was ok and i wasnt just running on battery power alone.

u seeeeeee???

strong work guy

Cant you just have the car running and disconnect the battery? Then the alternator, if good, would allow everything to still work. I know you solved your problem, I am just curious.

the bosch/valeo alternators in these cars are not known for failure, no worries unless the charging voltage dies off abruptly.

thanks brah

No, the battery is what completes the circut. The altenator is simply a device that keeps the battery constantly charged, most altenators dont posses enough power alone to keep “newer” car running.

test the output on the alternator using a dmm.

I had alternator problems once. Went to sears and they sold me some new tires. They didn’t work well offroading though. PRobably won’t buy those tires again.