Testing Waters On Carbon Fiber Hatches

I was going to make a few carbon fiber hatches for a couble of my old friends from school with s13’s. I went out and bought all my supplys to make a mold, only to have some friends back out. Right now I have about $500 in supplys for the mold but only 2 people wanting hatches.

I’m just putting it out there to see if any one else was interested in a hatch. If there is some interest then I’ll finish off the mold and pull a few to see how they turn out.

The hatches will be just like stock other than the wiper, brake light and spoiler mount holes. Window’s will not be included but your oem glass will fit right in.

Price would be in the $650 to $750 range.

Disclaimer: Hatches are for track use only.

How is the carbon fibre going to be cured? Vacuum done or baked?

It will all be vacuum bagged. Wet lay up. I would like to do an infusion but it’s hard to source in the right resin for it around here.

You can get CC Carbon Fiber hatches for $300 Brand New like i did.
Don’t really see how these would sell for twice as much.
Just putting it out there ,before you go making them. Just some food for thought.

You can get CC Carbon Fiber hatches for $300 Brand New like i did.
Don’t really see how these would sell for twice as much.
Just putting it out there ,before you go making them. Just some food for thought.

Your mistaken they are $430 + shipping and customs. So closer to 700 to your door

http://www.andysautosport.com/nissan/1989_1994_240sx/exterior/trunks/extreme_dimensions/extr00123600.html

Well, When I ordered it they must have been on sale.

Either way, Depending on quality of these, wouldn’t most agree that the CC would be the better bet if they are cheaper, or the same price.

Say I could match the price then, or close to it. If enough interest was around, I could maybe hit the $500 mark on them. I guess I’ll just have to bite the bullet to find out. I’ll post back here if I get the balls to invest in these still.

If price could be matched, that would be awesome obviously.
Pics of first product when done.

Maybe consider making a hatch replacement that isn’t OEM, like louvers or the MR2 style half hatch. Something that there isn’t already competition/supply for.

or possibly incorperate like a small lip on the rear like the rocket bunny kits but smaller wing molded in? i think that would look sick, then make the second pieces for the sides?
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad94/mgandza/391823311.jpg

Yea I have been thinking about an integrated lip in the hatch. I actully really like the idea of the louvres too. See what I can do in the next little while…