Thanks Obama (v. ethanol)

The Obama administration today granted a request from ethanol producers to permit higher concentrations of the corn-based fuel additive in gasoline for vehicles made in 2007 and later.

The Environmental Protection Agency said it will allow refiners to blend as much as 15 percent ethanol into fuel, up from the current 10 percent.

Ethanol producers such as Archer Daniels Midland Co. have pressed the EPA to raise the limit. Opponents, including a coalition of oil companies, automakers and advocacy groups, say adding more ethanol may damage car engines, boost food prices and hurt the environment.

Thoughts?

they should allow it only for sale in 87 octane gas… premium stays purer and older cars can pay for premium to avoid it.

Basically, yes.

Which is the nice thing about Shell fuel.

just looked up a news article and it’s not as ugly as the first unattributed post leads on:

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) — The Obama administration on Wednesday approved a 50% increase in the amount of ethanol used in fuel blends, but only for newer vehicles, a decision critics say could confuse consumers.

The Environmental Protection Agency said it will allow blends to include as much as 15% ethanol, up from the current 10% limit. The ruling is part of an effort to reduce the nation’s reliance on fossil fuels and cut down on oil imports.

Yet a 15% blend is not deemed suitable for older vehicles, so consumers will have to be careful. The EPA said gas stations will be required to clearly label their pumps to prevent customers from buying the wrong fuel.

The agency said the so-called E15 blend should only be used in vehicles built in 2007 or later. The blend should not be used for cars and trucks made before 2001. They were not designed for higher ethanol blends and are more liable to damage.

The agency is still reviewing data on vehicles made from 2001 to 2006, with results expected in November.

To mitigate the impact of its decision, the agency said it would not mandate that gas stations offer the E15 blend.

“Ultimately it will be up to fuel suppliers and retailers to make it available,” said Gina McCarthy, a senior EPA administrator. “It’s by no means assured the market will develop quickly.”

The risk of consumer confusion and potential legal liabilities has spurred a number of groups, such as auto makers, boat builders and refiners, to oppose the EPA ruling.

“The large majority of today’s vehicle warranties only cover gasoline with up to 10 percent ethanol,” said spokesman Bob Greco of the American Petroleum Institute. “More ethanol in gasoline could result in the voiding of customer warranties.”

Those groups have been joined by a motley crew of other foes such as livestock ranchers and environmentalists.

Their concerns are far-ranging. Refiners lament the cost and complexity of supplying different blends to gas stations. Ranchers worry it will drive up costs as farmers shift away from growing corn for feed. Environmentalists say higher blends will lead to the clearing of more land.

Supporters of higher ethanol blends, for their part, say it will reduce the nation’s dependency on foreign suppliers of oil and keep more U.S. dollars at home, helping the domestic economy.

Under federal law, the U.S. is supposed to double the amount of alternative fuels by 2022. Ethanol, a byproduct of corn, is the most readily available source.

Corn growers in the Midwest, led by agricultural giant Archer Daniels Midland Co. /quotes/comstock/13*!adm/quotes/nls/adm (ADM 33.21, +0.50, +1.53%) , have urged the EPA to boost the limit. Many lawmakers from that region — in both parties — have also pushed for an increase. They’ve supported long-standing subsidies for ethanol.

Shares of ADM rose 1.5% in Wednesday trades. Corn prices also rose slightly and stand near a two-year high

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/higher-ethanol-blends-for-gas-likely-to-be-okd-2010-10-13?reflink=MW_news_stmp

so if you like the free market then thank Obama for allowing you to have more options as a consumer.

More info:

Raising the “blend ratio” will increase demand. By law, the U.S. must use 12 billion gallons of renewable fuels such as ethanol next year, up from 10.5 billion in 2009, and use 15 billion gallons by 2015.

So they are not moving enough product themselves.

How are they going to distinguish? Are they going to have a 2007+ gas pump and a 2006 and older one? I don’t get it

if you read the article I posted it sounds like they are clearly going to have to label “E10” vs. “E15” vs. “E85” and gas stations are under no obligation to carry any of them.

While this is cool do all 2007+ cars compensate for the increased volume of fuel needed to run more corn fuel? lol

I guess maybe 15% is ok? How does this effect tuning? What would the octane of E15 be?

ethanol = bullshit
worse gas mileage, gas still keeps getting more expensive. its all bullshit.

Ahh, well then cool. One more potential choice at the pump.

Even if there is no mandate, the Gov will subsidize it somehow and make it less desirable to sell lower ethanol content fuel. So those of us with older cars will have less options… look at how few stations in this area sell ethanol-free gas already.

Chuck Schumer said it best:

Schumer called the requirement to use ethanol in gasoline nationwide “nothing less than an ethanol tax levied on every driver” and a “boondoggle” to benefit farmers at the expense of motorists.

This is getting cornfusing, I am just going to buy an electric car. :smiley:

Ethanol=god.

Comes from bullshit, runs great in evo’s and makes serious jam :slight_smile:

^^^
that should be Nissan’s advertising line, I bet it would work…

Wow, who knew that today would be the day that I finally agree with Chuck Schumer on something.

It’s just BS pandering to the fringe left and the corn growers for votes. Ethanol is a huge scam and furthering it’s use is only going to drive up costs in the grocery store.

A good read on ethanol:

The higher the ethanol content, the less energy you can get out of a gallon of gas. You might make more power from it but you’re using more fuel to make the same power. It’s got a high octane rating though.

And it corrodes rubber…

And makes corn flakes expen$ive.

I don’t drive my car at the ragged edge to get great gas mileage anyhow. But i can understand were everyone is coming from.

I was expected this thread to be about more e85, which made me happy. However, I was incorrect.

I agree with the only in 87oct idea. Other than that this is total BS.

ugh stupid ethanol garbage…so theyre gonna have a seperate pump for this shit then? my grandpa already has a hard enough time with fuel in his planes now with getting it without ethanol…cant be used in his apache because it uses rubber bladder tanks in the wings. not to mention it runs leaner…i dont like the idea of increasing ethanol levels.