Live Green, Go Yellow

Go Yellow

It appears as if we have found a way around the terrorist bastards in iraq…But theres always a catch. DECREASED gas mileage and the SAME cost. So pretty much unless ur environmentally concerned, this car is worthless to you. Cool concept tho, maybe this is going somewhere.

Hemp is a better resource for it…

yeah, go GREEN. ethanol looks like it’s the future… it’s been estimated that it’ll only cost about 70 dollars a car to convert them to ethanol-friendly machines.

corn farmers just need to shaddap and hemp needs to become able to be grown in the US legally again. and no it’s not pot. it’s a cousin… and contains only trace amounts of THC. corn doesn’t make ethanol efficiently at all, but hemp does. sooo… realistically, hemp is a MUCH better choice and I officially hate those commercials. good effort though… they’re definitely on the right track.

if we can grow a supply of fuel for cars, then it makes it a way more reasonable fuel and seems to be very similar to straight gasoline

but but but WHAT ABOUT OIL!!! those poor rich white guys and their oil companies are going to be sooo sad. I do believe that’s why hemp was banned in the first place… in the beginning, it was a fuel source… but mr. oil company was a greedy bastard and wrecked it for all of us. really, that’ll be the day when we finally get back to where we started.

Very interesting. What type of power outputs are you looking at with these vehicles?

power output is supposedly higher, due to increased octane.

increased octane= increased power???

E85 is supposed to drop significantly in price once it become more common.

E85 isn’t that new its been on pump for a while in many midwestern states.

Increased octane= MOAr BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST.

Ethanol has an octane rating of 110. Thats like leaded racegas on pump.

Seriously look at alcohol dragsters. They run mad boost and super high compression.

Plus it can be mixed with nitromethane…

Im all for it. :smiley:

We waste alot more corn than we consume, thats the way to go for sure. Plus its going to bring a shitload of money back to the US.

BTW no flex fuel zo6?? Ghey!!!

not neccessarily, i wasnt trying to say that. i of course know that increased octane does not = power. im not gonna get into a discussion of octane here

110 octane? What will all the douchebag ricers put in their Civics then to make themselves feel better and think they are going faster. Race Ethanol 150 Octane??

:p) I know what you were saying, haha, just being a douche.

Alcohol also burns cleaner. Meaning I can gut my cats without the treehuggers shitting in my cereal.

Alcohol on pump = t3h win for everybody.

E85 is actually just a way to give oil companies thier cut. Technically 15 percent gasoline in 85 percent ethanol burns more like ethanol than gasoline.

This is a way to prevent our lovely politicans from being paid off and lobying against the energy source.

Technically our cars can be made to run 100 percent Ethanol Just as easily.

Larger injectors, bigger fuel pump, tune for an alcohol AFR and your pretty much done.

Turn up the boost a couple PSI, sit back relax and enjoy the increased performance.

http://www.hardtail.com/techtips/alcohol.html

Alcohol has burn properties that are not only cooler temprature wise but also is able to produce more torque than race gas of the same octane. Ethanol burns similar to methanol but has more energy density and is actually a little bit higher in octane.

“Depending on the volumetric efficiency of your engine, you’ll pickup anywhere from .3 to .7 of a second in ET just by switching to methanol.”

“Methanol costs much less than racing gasoline and has a higher octane rating.”

“Methanol is not affected as greatly by changes in atmospheric conditions as with gasoline. It is only affected about half as much as gasoline. If the air changes and your opponent running gasoline slows by .01 of a second, you will only slow about .005 of a second running methanol. Think about this the next time you’re sitting in the staging lanes waiting to run.”

“Methanol runs much cooler than gasoline so if you have overheating problems, converting to methanol can cure them very quickly. You can remove that huge aluminum or copper rad and install a tranny cooler or a small import car’s radiator for a rad thus saving weight off the front of the car.”

“The increase in horsepower comes low in the rpm range so your low end torque is increased dramatically. Over 7000 rpm the effect wears off. If your car is having traction problems with gasoline, you will have twice the problem when you switch to methanol. This is why most Super class racers run gasoline. If you spin a tire, you lose. A gasoline dragster with a heavy big block over the rear wheels is less likely to spin a tire in high gear or coming off the throttle stop than a methanol burning lightweight small block. There are ways to eliminate this problem and if you can, you will be twice as consistent as the other combination.”

fixed

it’d be nice to see this happen in the near future before we are all old n gray

ethanol does not make more power. it only has a higher octane rating.

you need more (1.66 multiplier) ethanol to burn with the same air as fuel. pound for pound gasoline will make more power.
dont get me wrong, i love a ethanol and have started a few discussion in tech about it, but it doesnt make more power than gas.

By the same logic pound for pound diesel fuel would make more power than gas. As diesel fuel has more energy density. Gasoline has higher energy density than ethanol but ethanol will allow an engine to run a higher compression/ more boost. Ethanol also burns more efficently because it is an oxygenated fuel.

I will find the burn charts for ethanol. Basicly the fuel being oxygenated means if you richen up the mix it continues to make more power. This is contrary to gasoline.

Given the same motor ADJUSTED to ethanol AFR’s an alcohol engine will make more power at the expesnse of burning more fuel. This is because of the oxygen content inherent in the fuel itself.

There is a thread on NASIOC on a WRX converted to run on E85. Running similar parameters tuned for an ethanol AFR it makes more power than gasoline.

Ill find that later…

yeah from what i understand the gas mileage is significantly less then gasoline

I wanna become green

I remember back in the days 10-15 years ago in Puerto Rico Metro Buses running on ethanol